Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP repair failing -

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled "memtest86+2.11.iso.zip"
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory.

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Advertisements

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks shaffer for helping me through all of this!!!

So, memtest found no errors. What would you suggest next?

s

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok so no problem there.
When you boot into windows are you saying now there is no setup problem?
Everything is working ok up to starting up windows now?
You can get into windows ok but then windows is freezing no matter what you do?
How long does it freeze?
Do you have to hard boot? Hard boot is turning the system off then back on.
When you reboot does it display a boot menu like when you pushed F8 ?
If so can you scroll down to safe mode and chose that again and see if the freezing stops
please post result

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
With the setup problem, i was using an incorrect set up cd...sony overnighted me the correct system restore disc, which, did a c: drive restore. Then i could turn on pc, without and setup probs. I was installing some of my everyday programs and about after 30 minutes pc froze. System freezes completly then i just have to hold the power button until it shuts off, then press the power again to turn on. I just turned it back on, after about three minutes, pc froze. Turned it back on, hit f8, started it in safe mode, about two minutes later, pc froze. Thanks for all of your help! What do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so not the memory, not the the OS system now.
So lets take a look at other software and hd
What software had you installed or was in the process of installing right before the system froze?

We need to run a couple of test on the hd so I'm going to have you do these in this order

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f
Note... there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS... this can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

If after running each of these steps one at a time and then testing system and the problem appears to have stopped then please do not proceed. Reply with results of each test after you have finished

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 06:35 AM.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks shaffer..

so real quick, it froze when the pc was installing the initial factory software, rebooted, then it finally finished installing. Got the HD dia, ran the quick test, it passed, currently running the extended test.

Will finish this, then will run the chkdsk...

thanks man!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update. Seeing that this is a new install and the problem apparently started with the freeze during install it may just be wise to format and reinstall again. I have a sneaking suspicion this is the culprit. Just to be sure, when you got the original recovery disk did it format the drive first or did it do whats called a repair install?

Since this started when installing software I want to see if there is software that you installed causing the problem.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it
Put a tick in accept then click on next
Put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder then click next
Put a tick in create a desktop icon then click on install and make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed before clicking finish
Click Analyze ...
It will want to download the debugger and install it...say yes...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 09:35 AM.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks Shaffer,

here is the analysis;
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dumps are enabled and no crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware or power failure. Then it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
running the chkdsk /r now.....
when i put the sony disk in, to me, it seemed that it did not perform a repair...also, the cd kit from sony came with 2 discs, however, it never asked for the second disc, not sure what it's purpose it...

Thanks for all of your help, i really appreciate it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be a Drivers disk or a tutorial disk. Your crash dump is telling me that it's not crashing per say but only freezing. At this point and when you finish the chkdsk test we can try looking at msconfig again and try this

Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results before continuing

Lets see what you have in your startup services area
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Services
Click on Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a service problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Advertisements

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Shaffer, thanks for you help...

I just did the msconfig, did the startup, pc froze after ten minutes, rebooted, and went into the msconfig and unchecked all of the services, and pc froze up again. This is frustrating, but boy i'm glad that this service is here!!

What do you suggest now?

Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open whocrashed and click analyze. See if there are any entries now. Please post in next reply
Also since this is a new install please supply the following info.

Go to
Start>Right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager
Are there any entries in there now with yellow exclamation marks or red circles with x's in them?

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 01:49 PM.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you!

here is the analyze from whocrashed
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware or power failure. Then it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Just went in to device manager, and everything appears ok, no yellow or red marks...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it looks like everything is pointing back to that install that went crazy. I reread everything and if I'm not mistaken the system hung on setup with the new disk Sony sent you correct?

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 02:05 PM.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yeah...i guess so. It seemed that the system restore didn't work properly...