Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP repair failing -

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and this was a fresh install correct or was it a repair?
I'm sorry if I am repeating but I want make sure what my next step is. If there is data that is important not to lose then I want to instruct a repair installation. If not then I will instruct a new installation with format and all. Please let me know which way is the best for you.

Advertisements

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i believe that it was a fresh install, but i don't believe i was given an option..originally, i tried to perform a repair, and that is when it froze up....nothing ever finished, i ordered a disc from sony and put that in and it automatically when to the system restore process....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, whew good, Then that means nothing has been added to the system that can't be redone. Lets redo this and make sure we have a good install from the start with no issues.
Please put in your Sony recovery cd and when prompted Install windows again. Make sure that it formats the partition with your existing installation. Do Not allow it to do any repair or install in other partition but the partition windows resides on now. When setup has finished then make sure you log on to Microsofts update page and get all updates for your system. Please let me know the progress and how things are working as we go. I will monitor this topic and will answer back asap for you.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok, it does give me two options;
c drive recovery or custom recovery (for advanced users)....
in the wording of each option, the c drive mentions that hard drive partition sizes remain unchanged and all partitions except c are unaffected...and for the custom recovery it mentions that it recovers the entire system...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you want to do just the c drive so I would suggest drive recovery.
If it is wrong we can always go back and do the other.. Nice thing about having the actual recovery disks :)

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
just out of curiosity, i clicked on the advanced users option and it gives me two other options;
Complete Recovery with the recovery drive (recommended) and
Complete Recovery without the Recovery Drive

i will perform c drive recovery first and if no luck, try the other?

Edited by sidewaysmck, 19 April 2009 - 02:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now you are sounding like a old pro at this :)
If it doesn't work then what I suggest is

Complete Recovery with the recovery drive (recommended)
Thank you for keeping me updated.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
shaffer,

thanks for helping me out with this mess. The problem was never found, however, the system recovery discs and doing the extra restore cleaned up the problem and i'm up and running again!

Thanks for this great web-site, and the people helping out! Thank you Shaffer. What a help and great asset.

Best,
s

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 07:35 PM.