Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe To Delete Desktop.Ini?

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi,
This one is probably quite simple for you guys!

I am organising some old folders, including my music. I have an external hard drive with loads of stuff I have saved from different computers, especially previous jobs. I have a folder called My Music, so I moved everything inside to another folder - but it is telling me there is still something in the folder, but I can't see it! (I won't delete a Folder unless it tells me it is 'empty'!).

So, I enabled Hidden Files, and there is this thing: Desktop.Ini Configuration Settings.

What happens if I delete Desktop.Ini & is it safe to do so?

On a similar theme, I found the answer to this - but I just want to confirm that I can safely delete Thumbs.db which gives me a similar problem on occasion. I have disabled their future creation (do not cache thumbnails) but it appears to make absolutely no difference - they do not appear to be being created BUT everything works exactly the same. What exactly have I done?? :)

Thanks in advance,

Gregg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you delete Deskto.ini then you will have no desktop. That is the file that windows uses to start your desktop settings. Folders, colors, arrangement, shortcuts.
Thumbs is not a problem as I do the same with mine.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks for that.

So why are there lots of Desktop.ini in different folders? Plus, why would my desktop settings be stored on my external hard drive. For once - it wasn't me!!

BTW - have you disabled Thumbs future creation (do not cache thumbnails option in Control Panel > Folder Options).
What exactly does this do? May be total coincidence by my entire machine seems to be running slower since I changed it. :)

Cheers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Desktop ini in each folder holds the location, size, link for that folder
No I have not done the option you speak of as I just delete them. They don't bother me. I believe thumbs is just a snapshot of the folder as far as the contents. I may be wrong but it seems thats all it is.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 April 2009 - 08:26 AM.