Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't load

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
This morning I opened and used my computer and everything worked normally. As I was working I noticed that windows had an automatic update, do I did an express install, choose "restart later". However since trying to restart my computer, all I can get is the windows logo and the progress bar that runs, and windows won't continue to finish loading.

So I tried starting up in safe mode with networking, went to the windows update site to see if the update was sucessful, and I got an error message that windows had encountered a problem and the information was not available. I wanted to see if I could run another update check, but could not do that.

So then I tried restoring to yesterday, restarted the computer, and it still stalls on the XP progress bar opening page. Then I tried opening again in safe mode and tried the option of starting with the last known good configuration. Still is stalling.

What is so frustrating is that it was working fine until I did the windows update. Now I can't even seem to start it up in safe mode, all I can get is the XP progress bar.

And that is far as I got before I had to go to work, when I am posting this from.

Is there anything else I can try? My HP Pavillion has bundled software, so I have no actual XP CD, just my recovery CD set which I do not want to do because I have a large project I do not wish to lose.

Is there an actual phone number to talk to a Windows live help? All I could find was a place to email them about a problem, and I need my computer today.
Any help wpuld be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Boot into safe mode. Log in as Administrator. >>>>This is imprtant you log in this way

Once in windows got to

Start>Control Panel>Add\Remove Programs
At the top of the window click on the little box that says "Show All Updates"
scroll down till you find the Microsoft Windows or Windows Xp area. Find the last update it did and then click on the remove button. This should uninstall the last update
Then reboot the system and try it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 April 2009 - 10:43 AM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I looked at those updates in the add/remove programs before I came here. The last update is dated in March, so how can that be?

Is it possible that the update was not really one from Microsoft? I got the Express install window like normal, and just ran it.

And when I go to the Microsoft page to check the update history, it says that information is not avalable to me. Is that because it is in safe mode?

Could I have gotten a false update, and it is a virus instead that is causing this problem? I am running a defrag on it now i safe mode, and am using a laptop.

I hope I can resolve this without having to pay HP. The last thing on the update list was service pack 3, but I think that was installed a long time ago.

Anything else I can try?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely you had a corrupt update. Without knowing exactly what it was updating it's goiing to be harder to fix it. But not impossible.
Since you have no Xp disc then you will have do everything through Recovery Console.

Go Here to get Recovery Console

Download Windows Recovery Console
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

Once you are in recovery console you will be sitting at a black screen with a blinking cursor.
Type this in

chkdsk /f Notice the space between k and /
Click enter
The system will run the program and you can see if it fixs anything from there

If no errors then repeat the above and type in

chkdsk /r

Note... there are 5 stages in this scan...it may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS... this can take several hours to complete.
When completed reboot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
By doing a recovery like that, you will lose all your pictures and music files, won't you? Since I posted last, I was able to start my computer in safe mode and I did a defrag, although it said some files could not be compacted. Then I deleted the cache of my antivirus, and also Firefox.

And now my computer started up normally. I am almost afraid to go to the microsoft update page to see about that update. Should I try to run the scan for any new updates, or just skip them for now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure by recovery you are referring to. We haven't gotten to the point of doing any recovery yet.
Is IE working now so you can get the updates via IE?
If so then go to Tools at the top of the IE window, then click on Windows Update. This will assure you are going directly to Microsoft.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The windows recovery console. I thought by running that I would lose pictures and music files. Is that not correct?And yes, I did go directly to the Microsoft sight to do the updating. I have no idea what made my computer stall out like that.

Please... Request...

Please... Request...

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Formatting C Drive and Re-Installing Windows XP

I have Windows XP on my Compaq Presario Model: SR1720IL, which originally came pre-loaded with only DOS on it (And the Windows XP loaded on it is off the same XP CD through which I tried to reboot it for re-installation). Now, somehow certain Spyware came into the PC through Internet even though I had the Cyberdefender running on the PC. Now, due to the spyware the computer got a problem of restarting on running the spyware scan and on opening ebay etc.

So, I decided to reformat the C drive on which Windows XP was running and reinstall it from the CD. So, on rebooting from the CD I pressed ENTER at the "Welcome to Setup" screen and then pressed F8 to agree to the license. Next, there was an option to Repair my existing installation or Install a fresh copy. So, I pressed ENTER to Install a fresh XP. Now, I pressed D to delete the C Drive Partition on which Windows XP was installed then, pressed L to confirm the delete. Later, I pressed C on the un-partitioned space to create the new partition and it already showed the maximum space available so, I pressed ENTER. Then, I chose NTFS to Format the partition. After the format as I pressed enter to go ahead with the installation of Windows XP on C Drive just a few seconds later a Blue screen appeared showing: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area with the Technical Information: STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE95D5618, 0x00000000, 0x8081882C, 0x00000002)

I wonder why it showed that Windows has been shut down because I had already formatted the C Drive containing the Windows XP and its reinstall was still in process.

Now, later I realized that my system was a FAT32. So, I again did the same procedure and converted it into FAT32 from NTFS but still the same screen appeared and I am unable to install the Windows XP any longer. The system's hardware is absolutely fine because I had started using it a fresh since 2 weeks back only, and it was doing wonderfully well before that spyware came in.

Please help me, what to do next as I have never seen or heard of such an error earlier. Also, I had stored my DATA from C Drive to E Drive how can I access that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No recovery console is just a way to run commands outside of windows.

Direct to: Please...request

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other issues that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.