Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to keep laptop from rebooting -

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

I'm working on a Toshiba laptop that keeps rebooting during the boot process. The BSOD goes away to quickly to read the error. I know, indside Windows, how to prevent a PC from rebooting on error from changing the "Startup and Recovery" option, but how can I prevent it if I can't get into Windows?

Toshiba Laptop running Windows XP Home.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello magusbuckley

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

When you turn on your computer imidatally start hitting F2. That should take you to the BIOS options screen where there should be an automatic reboot option. Turn this option off.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Oreo:

I made it into the BIOS earlier and didn't see any option to preven the laptop from rebooting on error. Since you're post, I double checked and it definately doesn't exist.

Any other options?

Thanks,

Magus

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Oreo:

I should also point out that I can't book into Safe Mode. Since that option doesn't load any system drivers, I just knew I'd get in that way because Blue Screens usually originate from bad hardware drivers.

Thanks,

Magus

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.windowsne...ckuporBSOD.html
This tells that to disable auto reboot you could change a registry value. It may be a RAM issue, so click on "Memtest Instructions" in my sig and follow the instructions. You could have a camera ready and take a picture during the blue screen if it is fast enough.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
Read this to know how to use Bart PE to change registry values.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Well, if you can boot into safe mode try to uninstall your drivers and reinstall the latest drivers. They will be disabled in safe mode, but you should be able to uninstall and reinstall them.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

Thanks for the responses. I finally was able to read my screen.

As posted before, Oreo, I am not able to boot into safe mode.

During POST, I used F5. It took me to the startup menu but had many more options. One of them was to disable reboot if error during startup.

The error was a Stop 0x00000024 error which doesn't tell me a whole lot. I've dropped my Windows CD in now and am running a check disk.

Thanks,

Magus

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Good. The only thing I can find on this message is to run chkdsk /r from a boot disk. It is possible that this sector may be damaged beyond repair. If you are getting too many bad sectors I would recomend imidate replacement of the hard drive.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;228888

This error could mean that there is a problem with your NTFS partition. Read the article and post what parameters were given with that STOP error.
Running chkdsk may solve or help your problem. I am sure that the problem is with your hard disk and its file system. Also, post the model and make of your hard disk. Diagnostics
Use that link to download the appropriate diagnostic software for your hd.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
edge:

The laptop is a Toshiba.

The error code on Blue Screen was a stop error code 0x00000024. When I looked that up online, it pointed to bad hard drive. I used a Windows XP CD to get into the Recovery Console and ran a check disk. It got about half way and told me it found sectors with problems that weren't repairable.

As a last attempt, I thought I might be able to run a restore that would reinstall windows but keep the old data in a recovery folder. I couldn't get the restore program to open though. I looked up the keyboard button to press during POST from the Toshiba site (should be the "0" key) but it never ran. At this point, I figure the HD is bad.

I could buy a new HD for next to nothing, but it's not mine and I don't think the lady will want to purchase another copy of Windows (too much money). The old version of Windows, of course, is the OEM that came with the laptop. She doesn't have any restore CDs, but even if she did, I don't think they'd run on a new HD of a different size. :)

Trying to figure out now the cheapest rout to get this lady back in business without using this old HD.

Thanks,

Magus

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I could get a good HD and an OEM copy of XP for $180 total.

She might go for that. I'll find out.

Thanks,

Magus