Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just reread the thread and noticed I don't have some basic information about your system. Please supply the following information.

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space>>>>>>>>>this is very important that I get this info

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

If this is a name brand system:
Make Lenovo
Model 3000 J Series
Operating System XP service pack 3
Age of the computer 1.5 years
Memory Total 1024mb
Hard Drive Size, How much free space 250 Gb, 152GB free

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm I'm wondering. After reading what the malware tech tried and everything we have tried I'm curious about something. I have looked up your system and it seems it's not clear if this is a laptop or a desktop. Can you verify which?I have a sneaking suspicion what the problem is but I need to know the info.

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 April 2009 - 05:09 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
it is a desktop. Im not sure why this would matter. I have made some slight modifications before but most where just a hassle so i changed them back. I tried to install second harddrive but i found it to loud. The 9 in 1 reader stalled out a while ago so that is currently unplugged maybe this is the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's take a look. If the system is not under warranty then I need you to open the case up. Look at all the fans with the system running. I'm especially looking for the cpu fan. I need to make sure it is turning correctly. Check all the fans, cpu, psu, second case cooling fan and any other fans that may be installed. What I'm looking for is a cooling problem. Check the cpu by putting your finger at the base of the fan. it should be warm but if it hot to the point it hurts then we have a cooling problem.
Reply back with your findings.

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 April 2009 - 07:30 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
the heatsink on the CPU is warm(may even be cool, but defiantly not hot) There is another heatsink below the CPU that is VERY hot. I have had the side of my computer off for almost a year so i dont believe anything is overheating unless it is that other heatsink.

Im looking into the CPU one now tho and through the spinning fan it appears to be very dusty. I will clean it out and see what happens.

I still dont believe this is the problem. I believe ctfmon.exe is. Most of the time it freezes i notices this process keeps coming back under my user. When i end it it runs good for a little bit.

Edited by yamalow, 20 April 2009 - 07:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it possible to get a picture of the inside where the fan you are describing as hot is sitting?
Hmm I'm wondering if the reader is disconnected from power, is there any reference to the reader in the msconfig startup area?

Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Startups
Then check to see if any reference to anything to do with the reader is checked. If so please uncheck it and restart the system
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Post back with the results

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 April 2009 - 07:55 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ya ill give it a try. should be up in less then 5.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i could not get it to do the whole thing but the thing on the bottom is what is hot. This ctfmon.exe is very annoying and becoming more persistent.

Attached Thumbnails

• small.JPG

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i did the startup thing and just unchecked everything, but this did not help. Could it be that something is not checked here?
I noticed a large decrease in startup time when i got rid of everything last week, but it is still longer then when i had everything on and it was at normal speed.

Edited by yamalow, 20 April 2009 - 08:34 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
heatsink for one of the chips on the motherboard. That will be hotter then normal. How is the hunt in the msconfig startup going?

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
what do you mean hunt? im going to printscreen my startups and show to you. It is attached.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By hunt I mean the search for any entries related to the reader. The ctfmon.exe you asked about is explained in the following
"When you run a Microsoft Office XP program, the file Ctfmon.exe (Ctfmon) runs in the background, even after you quit all Office programs.
Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies."

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
what do you mean entries? I have tried to eliminate everything that is not necessary for me to have at startup, but i feel this is not the problem. It is still like something is limiting the amount of memory the programs are giving to work with. Could m registries be wrong? I have used many programs to try and make my computer faster, as i travel the web more and more im finding out that registry defrags are not as "helpful" as you think, but they can do more harm then good. Im just trying to throw ideas out there to see if anything comes to you because im completely stumped.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are correct, GTG does not advise to use any registry cleaners as they can potentially do more harm then good.
That being said did your problem start after using Auslogics speed boost or was there a registry cleaner used at the same time?
As I stated before speed boost should not have caused the issue you are having. I see no issue with hardware as you stated. Have you tried to do a system restore to a point right before this all started?