Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
OK Speedboost has a regestry defrag in it that i have used. My system restore does not seem to work. About 3 months ago i fixed my comp wth another person from GTG and we could not get it to work properly anymore.

Im going to change out my harddrive to see if it is a hardware issue or not.

Edited by yamalow, 21 April 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thanks for explaining. Let me know what you discover by changing hard drives out. I'm not sure if this is what you tried with the other GTG tech to fix your restore problem but try this

Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter
Locate the Sr.inf file. (listed as Sr)
right-click the file and then click Install.
In the Files Needed dialog box click Browse.
Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file and then click Open.
When the installation is completed, restart your computer

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 April 2009 - 02:39 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I could not get another hard drive to work. I have 2 others but one is blank whish is a SATA but the other id the oldfashion ribbon one and my motherboard doesnt want to accept it.

To further explain the system restore. I can open it and try to click ona date but no matter what date i do it restarts lik eit should but it always says it cannot restore to this date please try a different date.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well at this point it looks like a system repair installation is the only way to fix the problems. The best suggestion is to format and reinstall everything. That way there is no question that everything should work then.
Either way I would suggest you backup your important data just in case. I cannot say that it is hardware now as we have checked everything there is to check. It has to be a windows problem and it has to be caused by the infection that you had. Let me know what you want to do and we can continue from here.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
im ready to do this but will it erase all my programs? Some of them i no longer have the cds for so this would be a problem.

also could we get another person to give this a look before we do anything drastic.

Edited by yamalow, 21 April 2009 - 06:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sure give me a little bit to find a Tech Staff and have them look this all over. Thank you Happyrock and Broni for your assistance in this.

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 April 2009 - 07:42 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok TYSVM

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
rshaffer61 asked me take a look at this thread, and I have couple of thoughts.
First of all, since the computer had some infection (I've read the other thread), system restore was reset (normal procedure), so there are no restore points except for the one set right after cleaning process was finished.
Secondly, chkdsk ran for very long time, and the results were not clear.
Windows repair is worth to try, but I'd try to run HD from the manufacturer, first: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
As for Windows repair, if NOT run through recovery console, all data should be safe, but since in computer world, there is never 100%, I'd back them up anyway, as rshaffer61 said.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first try booting into safe mode with networking...how does it run then...

another thing to try is go into the bios and set the safe or default or optimized settings ...
sometimes F5 but read the screens to be sure..save the settings usually F10 but read the screens to be sure...

exactly what programs don't you have cd's for...
do you have product keys for your software...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm sure yamalow will be happy to hear your input. :)

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Windows repair is worth to try, but I'd try to run HD from the manufacturer, first: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

I go to the link but not sure what to do after here. I know i have a seagate HD thats about it tho.

first try booting into safe mode with networking...how does it run then...

I have done in regualr safemode and it still lagged when opening programs.

another thing to try is go into the bios and set the safe or default or optimized settings ...
sometimes F5 but read the screens to be sure..save the settings usually F10 but read the screens to be sure...

Very unsure what this means exactly.

exactly what programs don't you have cd's for...
do you have product keys for your software...

I have the product key for WarcraftIII battle chest and Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise but no CDs. Last time i had to download everything which took almost 3 weeks bc my internet is not the best :)

Thanks for all your help.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Get SeaTools for DOS v2.13b (Graphical) (12.16.2008):
- Download SeaTools for DOS (ISO CD-ROM Image)
After downloading .iso file, burn it to CD, using ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
It'll create bootable disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
UH, download?
What about Xp and reg key for that? Do you have the Microsft Genuine Xp cd to reinstall?

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i do not have a install cd for XP.

i will try the DOS boot cd tomorrow i still didnt have a chance to get more blank CDs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
And the reg key?
How do you download the games?
Broni :)