Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i dont have anything for XP. When i got the computer it had everything i needed already on it. The games i can download from different websites but they are very big files so they take days.

Edited by yamalow, 21 April 2009 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without a Xp cd and the reg key that originally came with your system there is no way to do a repair installation on your system.
Although P2P programs are not illegal many of the files you download from them can contain virus's and malware. This is probably where your original infection started from.
GTG does not assist in issues with P2P problems except for the removal of the programs pursuant to the Terms Of Use. Please be aware that GTG will help to rid your system of P2P programs if you choose to do so.

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 April 2009 - 08:34 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

The games i can download from different torrent websites but they are very big files so they take days.

This site doesn't allow any discussions concerning illegal activities.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Sorry i edited it.

I will let you guys know tomorrow what i acomplish or need more help with.

Thanks to all of you for your time and info. I appreciate it very very much.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1..

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware open source utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install Windows from your registry. It allows you to print or save your keys for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, Server 2003, Server 2008, Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007 family of products. It also has a community-updated configuration file that retrieves product keys for many other applications. Another feature is the ability to retrieve product keys from unbootable Windows installations.

An optional config file - this functionality lets you pull a key stored in the registry for any software

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i ran the bootable CD for the DOS thing. It did the shirt test with no errors.

I am downloading and get the cd keys for XP with happyrock's program.

What is the next step?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you have the information Happyrock helped to get then follow these instructions to do a repair installation. If you have not backed your data up then do so before. With any software issue there is always a chance of data loss.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter system bios
Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen
You will need to change the boot sequence so that the cdrom is first and the hd is second
Press F10 to save and exit, press ok to accept
The system will now reboot

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i dont have an XP CD. :)
What should i do?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
borrow one from a friend ,family member or coworker..it HAS to be the same flavor your using IE...if you have XP PRO installed the one you borrow has to be XP PRO

Edited by happyrock, 22 April 2009 - 03:40 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
any other way? i tried to get one a month or two ago and no one that i know has one. One person did but it was service pack 1.1.

Edited by yamalow, 22 April 2009 - 04:02 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have to buy it then. You can buy them from any computer company like Best Buy or Comp USA. You can also get it from Here or Here

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 April 2009 - 04:10 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
these are very expensive. isnt the entire cd in a folder on my hdd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No, if the system came preinstalled and you have no cd, then the registration number should have been on the side of the system on a sticker. It would have told you what version of XP you have and also if it was a OEM installation. If you have that then you could call Microsoft and they possibly could sell you a copy at a reduced price.
If not then the only other option is to purchase a new disk of the same version as Happyrock explained earlier.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i got one more person to ask and i let you know how it goes tomorrow.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also check here...I've bought the home version as low as $60.00...usually about $80.00...I just bought vista home premium 64 bit for $80.00 about 2 weeks back...got to watch for sales.. :)