Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on Windows Validation Assistant
  • Click on the Validate Now button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click continue
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Please go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)[1]Click on Windows Validation Assistant
[2]Click on the Validate Now button.
[3]Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
[4]Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
[5]Enter your product key then click continue
[6]When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
[7]Copy what it says and paste it here.

I did steps 1-4 and got this message

Validation Complete!
Thank you for completing the validation process and for using genuine Microsoft software.

By using genuine Microsoft software, you can be confident that you will have access to the latest features, security, and support, which will help to improve your productivity and expand the capabilities of your computer.

You will also have access to new innovations and offerings available only to genuine Microsoft software customers.

Edited by yamalow, 22 April 2009 - 06:36 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Also, while i was on the website i found my product key on the sticker on my side, but it is different then the one i got from the jelly program.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mind if I join this free-for-all?

Without the Windows XP cd, our options are a bit limited. We won't be able to run a System File Check without one and with you downloading from torrent sites, there's a good chance you've ended up with some non-standard Windows core files. We also won't be able to run an in-place upgrade (repair install) which would also address the core files.

Let's look at a couple of things that haven't been investigated yet.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

=============================

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click on the "Services" tab. Tick the box to "Hide all Microsoft services", click the "Disable All" button. and Apply the change. Reboot and see if there is any difference in performance.

=============================

Download and run WinAudit on the machine. Save a report as outlined in This Tutorial. WinAudit will generate three files, e-mail me the one named "right.html" (please attach it to the e-mail). I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

It will take me a bit to wade through the report, but I'll post back with anything pertinent I find.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

For all 4 of them it says DMA if available.

The diabling services did not help. It actually seemed to make startup take longer and it froze longer then norma when the desktop first appeared.

i am doing the final step now and should have the email to you in a little bit.

Edited by yamalow, 23 April 2009 - 11:49 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For the Transfer Modes, you've given us the settings options...we need to see the Current Transfer Modes which should be shown in the box just under the one where you found the information you gave us.

Go ahead and reverse the instructions for the services...they can be re-enabled.

Click Start, then All Programs, and double click on the "Startup" folder. Is there anything in there relating to your Zune software? If there is, right click on the icon associated with Zune and choose "Delete". If there are no icons for Zune in the Startup folder, open the Configuration Utility (msconfig), click on the "Startup" tab, and see if there is a listing for Zune in the list of startup items. If there is, remove the tick(s) from the box next to it and apply the change. Reboot and see if the hangs persist.

According to what I'm seeing in the WinAudit report, the system is having a hard time with the Zune software.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Primary 1 is PIO mode
Primary 2 is Ultra DMA mode 4
Secondary 1 is Not Applicable
Secondary 2 is Not Applicable

There is no startup for the Zune in the startup folder, also i already have everything for startup disabled.
Should i try and enable the zune thing maybe it is looking for it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Because the Zune software is free, let's just uninstall it from "Add or Remove Programs" for the time being. It's generating a lot of system errors and may be corrupt.

Your Primary channel transfer mode is not correct...let's see if we can rectify that first. Go back to Device Manager, expand ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on the Primary IDE channel, and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change and reboot. Once Windows reinstalls the channel and any devices attached to it during startup, reboot again.

Does the performance improve after the second reboot?

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
which primary one there are two?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Primary channel 1 is set incorrectly...uninstall that one.

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I finished the uninstall, reinstall and it now is in Ultra DMA mode 6.

It did not improve performance, still had about a 4 minute lag at startup.

I have to leave for about 2-3 hours, but i will began to do any aditional steps as soon as i return.

Edited by yamalow, 23 April 2009 - 01:21 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are things a little faster now? Still experiencing the hangs?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you uninstall the Zune software? If not, please do so.

After you do that, restart a couple of times then send me a fresh WinAudit report.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I did uninstall zune and restart the computer 4 times. It did not seem to have affect on the hangs.
im sending you a new winaudit now.
The computer isn't exactly running slow it seems like its running normal speed then pausing for the "hangs" you call them.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The new report shows five new errors...all related to Zune. :)

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok".

Locate the following services in the list, right click on each, choose "Properties", set the Startup Type to "Disabled", and Apply the changes.
  • The Zune Network Sharing Service
  • Zune Bus Enumerator Driver service
Reboot a couple times and see if the hangs persist. If they do, send me a fresh report.