Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
none of these are in the thing you said.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Something is still calling up the Zune services, but there's no files to support them.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the Prefetch window, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press the Delete key...accept the change. Close the Prefetch window and reboot a couple of times to repopulate the prefetch with fresh files.

See if the hangs persist. If they do...you guessed it...send me a fresh report.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok this did not help. I can send you another report or just tell you that im still getting the zune error everytime i restart.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's reverse the psychology.

Download and install the most recent Zune software.

See if that helps.

There's also a possibility that the HDD is going bad. Anytime a HDD is forced to use PIO as a transfer mode, it means the drive is generating errors. We'll want to check that again, too...but give it some more time. If it does reset to PIO, it will be time to run the full drive diagnostics on that drive.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i installed the zune software and am getting a new different error now.
Also the transfer mode switched back to poi. I will email you the new winaudit.

What is the full diagnostic scan i will try and run tomorrow.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are not good errors to be seeing.

In This Post, Broni suggested running diagnostics on the drive and provided links to the burning software to create a bootable disk. He didn't provide a link to the disgnostics software, but meant for you to download the DOS Version (you'll need to accept the agreement and provide an e-mail address). Burn the disk he suggests as an ISO Image and use it to run the diagnostics. There are instructions on the download page for doing this.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I did the registration and it gave me the same thing as i got from broni. The instructions dont really make sense. I got dos version 2.13.

I will be able to get a hold of a XP install CD this weekend or will this not help anymore?

Those are not good errors to be seeing.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!?! :) :) :)

Edited by yamalow, 24 April 2009 - 03:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The errors you're getting now are indicative of a failing or failed HDD...it will need to be replaced. Installing to the bad drive will result in the same problems you're currently experiencing...IF the install will even complete.

If the disk you have lined up for this weekend is the same version (exactly) that is installed on your machine, you may be able to use it to install to a new drive using the product key you found on the side panel of your machine. If it isn't the same version, you won't be able to complete the installation.

I think your best option at this point is to get a new HDD and an OEM version Windows XP disk. This would allow you to install Windows without problems and get you back to a functioning computer.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

I think your best option at this point is to get a new HDD and an OEM version Windows XP disk. This would allow you to install Windows without problems and get you back to a functioning computer.

ok i have a blank hard drive that i already had and i got th CD wat do i do next? i tried to plug the new hdd in without the the bad hdd and had the XP CD in the drive but nothing happened. Do i need to have the bad hdd plugged in also? i cant get to the biod without the old hdd. f2 does not work i had to go into rescue and recovery and going to the bios was an option from here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

Go into the bios and set the boot sequence as follows
Cdrom
HD
Floppy
Click F10 to save and exit. You will be prompted to click Y to save and exit, do so
Make sure XP cd is in the drive
The system will reboot and you will be prompted on the second post screen to push ANY key to boot to cdrom. Push a key

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
thats the thing i cant seem to get to bios to change to CD drive boot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From post 99
" i cant get to the biod without the old hdd. f2 does not work i had to go into rescue and recovery and going to the bios was an option from here. "
This option allows you to get into bios according to what you are stating.
Having the old hd will not matter. You can put the new hd in and boot. Then follow the prompts I suggested or as you stated useing the rescue and recovery to get to the option to enter bios

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 April 2009 - 06:50 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
the resuce and recovery was a program on the old hdd. When i plug the "new"hdd( it is an from my friends old computer and wiped) All i get is a black screen. If i put the windows cd in nothing else happened.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting a post screen where it counts up the memory?
This is where you tap Del or at the bottom of this screen it will tell you what key or key combination to strike to enter setup
If not take the new hd out and try booting the system

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, I think Gateway uses the F1 key to access the BIOS Setup. Press and hold it as the machine starts.