Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Gateway?
I thought this was Leveno according to post 19 below

"If this is a name brand system:
Make Lenovo
Model 3000 J Series
Operating System XP service pack 3
Age of the computer 1.5 years
Memory Total 1024mb
Hard Drive Size, How much free space 250 Gb, 152GB free "

Is leveno made by Gateway Wannabe1?

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
is lenovo a gateway product?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IBM " Legend announces the birth of its new "Lenovo" logo to prepare for its expansion into the overseas market. '

This is what I found researching it.
Seems Lenovo is from IBM originally

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 April 2009 - 08:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Heh......I was working on a Gateway in Live Chat. Now everyone will have a Gateway for a few hours.... :)

Sorry about the confusion.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) at Wannabe1

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok so i was trying to use my bad hdd to figure out if i got the right CD and i guesse i didnt, but i accidentaly installed XP pro on my bad hdd. Im hoping this makes it better. But if not im guna need help figuring out why i cant get it to install in my new hdd tomorrow.

Also im curious as to how a harddrive would just "go bad." any reason or just randomly happens sometimes. One of my friends has the exact same thing occuring to him just wondering if its connected or 100% fluke.

And the last thing i just noticed. While i am doing this install onto bad HDD i notice that it says so many minutes are left, but it takes exactly 4min per min it say are left to take off one minute.

Edited by yamalow, 24 April 2009 - 10:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The time to install is approximate. Plan on at least 45 minutes to a hour. Also if you have xp pro and your original was xp home. there will be no way to register it. Just a FYI

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

:) at Wannabe1

its not smart to make sport of your teacher... :) ...you'll be lucky if your only sent to bed without dinner
in his defense...when you have multiple SIMILAR topics going YOU WILL get them crossed up occasionally..

Edited by happyrock, 25 April 2009 - 07:53 AM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok i got to the bios and it is supposed to load from the cd drive first. I turn on my computer it goes lenovo screen then a black screen then blinks the lenovo screen again. The cd drives starts to run hard. Then my monitor goes into power save mode and the whole thing starts over again except the CD drive continues to run the whole time after the first time.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i have a hdd but i cant get it to work on my computer. Sometimes i does the thing i said one post above and sometimes the screen just stays black and nothing hapens. I know this hdd has an os on it and it works in other computers but not mine any suggestions?

My old hdd was a 250GB seagate sata connection the "new" hdd is a 120GB seagate ide ribbon kind.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First did you take out old hd?
If not this is probably whats causing the issue right now and the system is still trying to boot to it. Remove old hd completely.
Let me know if this is the issue.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i took the old hdd out first. I then connected the new one but nothgin happens wen i turn it on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Aha I think i see the problem. Your original hd was a SATA and the new one is IDE.
Try going into the Bios again and there should be a section named Auto Detect Hard Drives. My Bios has two window panes when I enter it. The Auto Detection is on the right side. Just click it and let it auto detect. Then click F10 to save and exit. You will be prompted to click Y to verify. Do so and the system should reboot itself with the new settings intact. Let me know what happens.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i have no way to get to the bios. Nothing comes up wen i turn on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

ok i got to the bios and it is supposed to load from the cd drive first. I turn on my computer it goes lenovo screen then a black screen then blinks the lenovo screen again. The cd drives starts to run hard. Then my monitor goes into power save mode and the whole thing starts over again except the CD drive continues to run the whole time after the first time.

How did you get to the bios in this reply?
I don't think your bios is auto detecting that you switched drives.