Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting C Drive and Re-Installing Windows XP - BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Please... Request...

Please... Request...

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows XP on my Compaq Presario Model: SR1720IL, which originally came pre-loaded with only DOS on it (And the Windows XP loaded on it is off the same XP CD through which I tried to reboot it for re-installation). Now, somehow certain Spyware came into the PC through Internet even though I had the Cyberdefender running on the PC. Now, due to the spyware the computer got a problem of restarting on running the spyware scan and on opening ebay etc.

So, I decided to reformat the C drive on which Windows XP was running and reinstall it from the CD. So, on rebooting from the CD I pressed ENTER at the "Welcome to Setup" screen and then pressed F8 to agree to the license. Next, there was an option to Repair my existing installation or Install a fresh copy. So, I pressed Esc to Install a fresh XP. Now, I pressed D to delete the C Drive Partition on which Windows XP was installed then, pressed L to confirm the delete. Later, I pressed C on the un-partitioned space to create the new partition and it already showed the maximum space available so, I pressed ENTER. Then, I chose NTFS to Format the partition. After the format as I pressed enter to go ahead with the installation of Windows XP on C Drive just a few seconds later a Blue screen appeared showing: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area with the Technical Information: STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE95D5618, 0x00000000, 0x8081882C, 0x00000002)

I wonder why it showed that Windows has been shut down because I had already formatted the C Drive containing the Windows XP and its reinstall was still in process.

Now, later I realized that my system was a FAT32. So, I again did the same procedure and converted it into FAT32 from NTFS but still the same screen appeared and I am unable to install the Windows XP any longer. The system's hardware is absolutely fine because I had started using it a fresh since 2 weeks back only, and it was doing wonderfully well before that spyware came in.

Please help me, what to do next as I have never seen or heard of such an error earlier. Also, I had stored my DATA from C Drive to E Drive how can I access that?

Edited by Please... Request..., 16 April 2009 - 01:23 PM.

Advertisements

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Please... Reques...

you already have a topic here: http://www.d-a-l.com...installing.html

please only use one forum as it is a waste of time for both of us if you get help at multiple forums.

Thanks, Belinrahs

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I belive what Belinrahs is referring to is That by using 2 different Tech support sites you can run the risk of having conflicting advice given and that can lead to a system being made unusable or unstable. if you would like help from the other site then please request that this topic be closed. If you would like GTG to help then please ask for the other topic to be closed. Thank you

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
And rshaffer61 rules the day -- I speak in far too broad terms :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I only meant that you mentioned Forums and not Sites. I meant no offense implied Belinrahs but only assistance :)

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
None was ever taken or considered :) you are correct, sites would be a better term