Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't recognise hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Lard

Lard

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I'm suddenly having issues with my portable hard drive.

I was watching a show I'd downloaded, but went to the kitchen to get a sandwich. I tried to flip it back to the place where I left off and the whole computer locked up.
I had to force quit and start the computer again. The computer would only restart when I detached the hard drive.

I've tried attaching the HD since, and it won't recognise it.
It simply says my short cuts are unavailable and when I open My Computer, only my main drive is recognised.

Edit - the other drive has appeared on my computer since I started typing this, but when I clicked on it to open it up, it just hangs and does nothing.
I had to close My Computer because it crashed and said "Not Responding".

Is there a way to try and detect it, or is it likely fried?

Edited by Lard, 16 April 2009 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try it on another computer. If its not seen or has same isue then it's probably a safe bet the drive is toast. Try it in a different connector also. It may be a bad connection