Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop - Cardbus speed question

• Please log in to reply

jdtice

jdtice

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a PCMCIA card with 2 usb 2.0 and 1 6-pin 1394 firewire port. Connected to the single firewire port is an external DVD burner and an external hard drive in a daisy chain. When burning a dvd from data on the external HD, the HD stops sending data to my laptop partway through therefore creating a $0.40 coaster. I imagine the firewire port is being overloaded with data when this happens. What should I do?

1. Get a different PCMCIA card with 2 or more firewire ports and connect the DVD burner and external HD to their own port (which leads into my next question).

2. Plug the hard drive into a USB 2.0 port on my laptop, let the DVD burner have sole custody of the firewire port (I tested this method and it works fine, I just dunno about keeping my HD on a USB 2.0 port rather than on a firewire port. Plus, I like being able to come home and just plug in my cardbus and have it done with, no messing with a gazillion wires and such).

3. Other.

Does a cardbus even communicate with a laptop fast enough for this to even be worth it? Is a firewire port on a cardbus going to be slower/less reliable than a firewire port built into a motherboard (or even a PCI card on a desktop)?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, you need to have the 2 drives physically seperate - ie one on the laptops USB v2 port & one on the firewire. The current configuration is not gonna work - as you've found out.
Using a 2 port firewire card (one port per device) may or may not work, I wouldn't like to guarantee it though.

As far as transfer speeds are concerned, the theoretical transfer speeds of 480mbps (60MB/sec) for USB2 & 400mbps (50MB/sec) for 1394a, makes USB2 & firewire 1394a very similar in speed. The fact that the data is being transferred across controllers (ie USB to Firewire) is actually faster than transferring up & down the same cable on the same controller.

Also, DVD burning speeds & data transfer rates are not high enough to warrant anything faster anyway.

This should give you an idea of the data transfer you would require to burn DVDs
read/write data transfer rate
burning at 6x 0.9MB/sec
8x 1.2GB/sec
24X 3.6MB/sec

In answer to your final question, as far as I know, firewire on pcmcia shouldn't be any slower or less reliable than firewire built into the mobo.