Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

F Drive Appears Only Occasionally

• Please log in to reply

gamergirl1130

gamergirl1130

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone here can help me...

I've had an HP laptop with Windows XP for about three years now, but in the past year something weird has started happening. My F drive appears only occasionally. In order to get it to show up, I have to re-start my computer multiple times, and make sure that not only are no external drives plugged in, but that the disc I want to run is in the drive at start-up. Even then, sometimes after I remove the disc once done with it, the drive then disappears again.

I have no idea how to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? A big thanks in advance! (:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From your description I take it the F drive is your cdrom drive?

We will need some more information

Make Hp Laptop
Model>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Need
Operating System Win Xp (Home or Pro)>>>>>>>>>>>>>which one
Age of the computer 3 years old
Memory Total>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Need
Hard Drive Size, How much free space>>>>>>>>>>>>>>need

gamergirl1130

gamergirl1130

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, the F drive is my CD-ROM drive. Sorry for not specifying.

Here's some more information about my computer:

Make: HP Laptop
Model: HP Pavillion dv2000
Operating System: Windows XP (Home)
Age of the computer: 3 years old
Memory Total: 1.5 GB
Hard drive size, how much free space: 64.1 GB, 28.2 GB

Is there anything else I should include?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Okey dokey now for the news.
Since this is a laptop the cdrom is removable I suspect. I would remove it and make sure the contact points are clean. Blow the inside of where the cdrom goes into the laptop out. Reinstall the cdrom.
Try it and if it still does not work correctly.................time to look into a replacement. Sorry for the bad news but being the age I would bet the drive is probably failing and that is why it works sometimes and other times you have to restart the system several times.
Nowadays drives are not that expensive so it may be worth it if you are going tohave to replace it, to replace it with a dvd\cdrw drive.
I hope this helps but the symptons as you say have been ongoing for a year now and steadily getting worse. Please let me know if I can help you locate a new drive as I will be happy to assist if I can

gamergirl1130

gamergirl1130

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much! I've been thinking about getting a new one for a while, but was hoping there was some way to fix the one I have... I'll definitely try what you suggested, though, and if that doesn't work I'll get a replacement. You've been a big help. Thanks again! (:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help or in your issue at least offer some other suggestion. As I said if you are going to buy another I would invest in a dvd\cdrw as then you can watch dvd's on your system. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible