Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP x64 Randomly has Lag Attacks

• Please log in to reply

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, I'm using Windows XP, 64bit edition. Although this doesn't occur frequently, my computer will randomly go into a giant lag attack. The mouse pointer will freeze in one spot and move jerkily, any audio gets messed up (i usually see this problem when i'm listening to music and i get weird buzzes when the comp freezes for a sec) its almost impossible to work any application seeing as how everything freezes for a splitsecond and then becomes normal for maybe a second. i have used AVG 8 to scan my computer and i have found no threats. temperatures inside the computer are pretty consistently cool. this situation occurs like i said, at completely random times, usually when the computer has been on for more than 2 hours though. i have no idea what causes this, but it disrupts whatever work im doing at the moment and i have to reboot. any help on this issue would be great, Thanks!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
vista's defragger has been causing some systems to slowdown...so disable it from running automatically...
if you do this you will have to remember to manually run it about once a month

try this...
Vista Automatic Defrag:

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Selct the Control Panel Home
4. Click System and Maintenance
5. Under the Administrative Tools section at the bottom, click Defragment your hard drive
6. You may need to grant permission to open the disk fragmenter
7. unclick Run automatically..
s