Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me network up my new computer

• Please log in to reply

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I ordered a new computer from Newegg.com, and I've been wanting to get it on the internet without taking this one (my parents') off.

The obvious solution (at least to me) is Internet Connection Sharing.

Now I have a feeling (though I havn't been able to try it yet) that I can just hook the 2 computer's ethernet jacks together with a cable, and connect the old computer to the internet, and the new computer will be able to get on THROUGH the old computer...

The problem is that my dad likes to crash this older computer, it doesn't cooperate with him at all. I don't want to loose my signal every time he has to reboot this old computer.

So of course the next option is Routers.. we have a 2 year old linksys router laying around that we got from a friend, and we've never used it before. I really have no idea how. I've tried connecting the external modem to the wall and the router, then connect the router and the PC, and start the connection to my ISP with the usual shortcut, but nothing happens.

My ISP's 800 number tech support gave me no valuable assistance in the matter, so I turn to the internet. Can anyone explain how I might go about doing this?

Prefferably, it'd be nice if my dsl could ALWAYS be online, and use the router or something to split the connection, but I don't know if that can be done or not. kinda makes me wish I had Cable, cause I know my Brother in Law did that with his cable.

Advertisements

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

Configuring the linksys router is very easy. Do the following :-

Connect the router's WAN port to the internet. Then connect both the machines to the router ports labelled 1 to 4.

Reboot the DSL box, then the router and finally the computer. You should be good to go.

HTH
-Krishnan.

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've hooked it up like that before, but when I try to use the connect shortcut it just says "connecting to WAN miniport PPP0E" or something weird like that.

Don't I hafta somehow tell the router to connect to the net with my password or something? I really have no idea what I'm doing in this case. I'm fairly computer literate otherwise, though, so with some simple instructions I can hopefully make this work. By the way, this is not a wireless router, if you didn't guess.

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried it anyway for kicks and giggles, no beans.

here's a diagram

|wall DSL line 1|----|DSL modem|----|computer1 ethernet plug|

that's how I usually set it up... now when I try to use the router to add another computer it looks like this.

|wall DSL line 1|----|DSL modem|----|router internet plug|--|computer 1 and 2 with separate wires|

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well nevermind about that, I got my router to connect to the net on it's own, following a thing I found on the internet. I'm not sure what I did to my computer USE that connection, but it finally started working after tweaking a few things.. I'll be working on getting the other to work soon.

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

The way you have connected is correct. I am sure there is something wrong with the setting. Let us work on that now.

Please tell me the OS version you are running ?.

-Krishnan.

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Well nevermind about that, I got my router to connect to the net on it's own, following a thing I found on the internet.  I'm not sure what I did to my computer USE that connection, but it finally started working after tweaking a few things.. I'll be working on getting the other to work soon.

View Post

Can you tell me what changes you made ?.

Try setting the machine to do DHCP automatically. Run the following commands on a command prompt :-

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

HTH,
Krishnan.

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Everything is working now, thanks. One other thing though. How do I open ports or even completely disable the firewall in a linksys router to host online games that people are actually able to connect to?

Opening ports is acceptable, but temporarily killing the firewall alltogether during stuff is prefferable.

krishiyer

krishiyer

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Everything is working now, thanks.  One other thing though. How do I open ports or even completely disable the firewall in a linksys router to host online games that people are actually able to connect to?

Opening ports is acceptable, but temporarily killing the firewall alltogether during stuff is prefferable.

View Post

Hi.

You can open ports by configuring them on the linksys router ?. I think the default IP address the router takes is 192.168.1.1 and then you can use your browser to connect
to this address.

Once you do this, it will ask you the login and password, The login I think is admin and if you did not change the password then that will be admin too. Once you do that, there will be different tabs. One of them is firewall. You can choose to enable/disable as required. Also, you can add the ports you want it to open.

Hope this makes sense.

HTH,
Krishnan.