Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Empire Total War (+Steam) Port Forwarding

• Please log in to reply

Batemo

Batemo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
2 devices connect to my home network, My Desktop PC and my Mother's Laptop.

My computer connects via an ethernet cable, my mother's laptop connects via wireless.

The firewalls available to me are the SPI Firewall on the router, and the Windows Firewall - both are deactivated at the moment.

The game starts up and plays fine (single player) whether firewalls are enabled or disabled, but I get the 'Cannot join game. No response from host' message when I try multiplayer.

Advertisements

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Please go to the NETGEAR Router Management page. You'll need the Static IP address again.

Do you remember the DMZ (De-militarized zone) setting I had you find earlier? Go to that again, activate the DMZ setting (probably a checkbox of some sort), and in the IP Address box for the DMZ, put your Static IP there. Save settings, wait about 10 seconds for the setting to settle in, unplug the router, wait about 15 seconds, plug in again. Once again, try the game.

By the way, what region is your game set to? Somewhere in England, I assume? I've read up on this and it seems that regional settings can have an effect on getting a connection.

Edited by Belinrahs, 21 April 2009 - 01:47 PM.

Batemo

Batemo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Changing the region didn't help me.

I just tried playing a game with my friend and I was able to join it. We played through until the end.

Now, I'm not sure if this is a one-off, so next time he's on I'll try again then report back here.

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
:)

Batemo

Batemo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
"Cannot join game. No response from host." Again :)

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I need to do some more research -- I'll get back to you.

Ghost9420

Ghost9420

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have you found anything yet... I have Dmz on, because its the only way i can play, is there a different method(dont want all ports open)