Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is very weird. Did you try changing monitors? Try running JScreenFix.
http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php
Turn off your screensaver, and let it run for about 3 hours, or overnight. Stuck pixels are very unlikely to be causing your problem though.

Try rolling back to Service Pack 2

If that is when the problems started, then this is a good suggestion.

Advertisements

comerk

comerk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sorry, got busy and haven't had a chance to do the driver thing yet. Now it looks like I have a lot to do here :)

If I roll back to SP2, what do I lose/gain? Any security issues with doing that? And how do I do that?

So far I have to reinstall the drivers in Safe Mode, run JScreenFix, and [possibly] roll back to SP2. I'll run jscreen, just in case, but I agree on the not-a-stuck-pixel-problem thought. After that is done, which should I do first, rollback or reinstall?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By uninstalling SP3 you will not lose any data. All you are doing is rolling back the SP you have currently installed to SP2.

These methods are how Microsft suggests to uninstall SP3

Method 1: Use the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
appwiz.cpl
3. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
4. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3, and then click Remove.
5. Click Finish to restart the computer after the removal process is complete.

Method 2: Use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. When the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Removal Wizard starts, click Next.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP3.

Method 3: Use the System Restore process
Note Before you use System Restore, make sure that you have restarted the computer at least one time after you installed Windows XP SP3. By restarting the computer, you allow for any remaining servicing processes to finish.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
3. Click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
4. Click the date on which you installed Windows XP SP3, and then click Installed Window XP Service Pack 3 in the Restore Point box.
5. Click Next, and then follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP3

If after uninstalling SP3 and everything works fine for a day then you can reinstall SP3

comerk

comerk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
UPDATE

Rolled back to SP2 (method 2). Splash screens still screwy. Didn't check fonts.

Uninstall/Reinstall of video drivers in safe mode. Splash screens still screwy. Fonts work a-ok in office. Still missing pixels in weird locations from time to time (e.g. title bars, at the bottom of this page where it reads "X User(s) are reading this topic (Y Guests and Z Anonymous Users)", the large font area of rshaffer61's signature, etc.). Very strange. Like I said, just from time to time. In fact, the signature and the topic "viewing status" area where fine after I Minimize/Restored the window to look for other places.

Reinstalling SP3

Watching a movie

I'll let you know if anything changes after SP3 install.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I'll let you know if anything changes after SP3 install.

All right. Good to hear from you again!

Did you try using another monitor and see if this problem happens again? This is also unlikely related to the monitor too.
You might want to see if this happens in another OS, like a distro of Linux.

comerk

comerk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Okay after several days of reinstalling and running scans, I have this.

Reinstalled SP3 via manual windows update. Restart.
Checked to see if other updates were in order, they were and critical ones were installed via manual windows update. Restart.

Turned on Automatic updates. Realized Windows Media Player had been rolled back to a previous version.
Tried manual windows update to solve the problem.
IExplorer "encountered a problem and needs to close". Computer reboots itself.
After restart says it has recovered from a critical error (something to that effect).
Attempted manual windows update again. IExplorer shuts down. Secunia PSI (running in background) shuts down.
Run Spybot S&D - Clean.
Run Malwarebytes - Registry entry infected: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ctfmon.exe (Security.Hijack) - Quarantined and removed.

Attempt update, same result (insanity, I know).

Startup in safe mode ran Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Super Antispyware, AVG, Uninstalled/reinstalled Secunia PSI. All scans clean. Restart.

Same problems still. GRRR :)

I just want it to work now. I don't care about the little hash marks anymore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Security Hijack is not good. I would want to be 100% sure that you are clean.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

comerk

comerk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
New post opened here.

I'll post here as soon as it's closed out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and the link. I will monitor both and await your clean bill of health. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good. This has to be the most odd problem I have seen. I look forward to seeing this fixed! :)

Advertisements