Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow system

• Please log in to reply

normonster

normonster

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I haven't been on here for along time. Medical conditions have really been kicking my [bleep] so a lot of things in my life have been on hold for over a month.

When I finally returned home my system is operating very slowly. It wasn't like this when I left. I am certain nobody messed with it except for a visitor logging on to check an e-mail once or twice but things have really slowed.

I'm running Windows XP and I'm a bit foggy of the rest. (I'm a bit foggy about a lot of other things too) Can someone key me into how to approach this problem? What do I look at to beef up the speed? I'm not a computer wizard at all but I need this system badly. I was using a laptop where I was but it had to return to the owner and now I'm running my business from this...turtle. Any help would be appreciated. It's probably something simple because nothing has changed..except the speed.

Thanks
normonster

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

normonster

normonster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Broni-
Thanks for the quick answer. I'm having a difficult time getting the attachment to stick. It goes through the motions but then comes back and says I haven't selected a file to attach. I'll keep trying. Do I have to rezip the file after it runs?
norm

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can try to zip AutoRuns.txt file before attaching.

normonster

normonster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Broni-
I have tried all kinds of things but it will not upload. ??? I dunno. I'll keep messing with it but I have to leave in about an hour. If I don;t succeed by then I will pick this up later.
thnks
norm

normonster

normonster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
By the way, I tried uploading another file and it took it. Maybe I am running the autorun program incorrectly.
norm

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Upload the file here: http://www.filedropper.com/
Post download link.

normonster

normonster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Broni-
I have discovered the problem, or at least I think I have. The chap who was taking care of my things while I was...let's just leave it at I found the problem and will be disconnecting and deleting a few things. Hopefully this will bring my speed up to snuff. I will be doing this later this evening when the culprit shows up but if it continues I will get back on. For now I think we can close this issue.

I should have listened to what I told my kids about trusting people with things.

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if I wasted any of your time.
norm

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No time wasted, if we learned something new :)