Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built-In Wireless Broken

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm trying to fix a friends pc regarding his built-in wireless on his laptop. The on/off button won't respond, it doesn't turn blue even when I switch the button. So the laptop won't detect any wireless network but I'm sure there is one. I know somethings wrong, I'm thinking about the wireless card, the switch wirings or the motherboard itself. I've googled the internet and I found out that a lot of compaq laptop owners are experiencing the same issue. This is a Compaq Presario F500 laptop, the only solution that is mentioned is to return the laptop to HP and and replace the motherboard. Purchasing new wireless card would be useless beacause the motherboard would kill it too.

I just don't get why would the makers mass produce a laptop that has defects on it. Sadly the laptop is out of warranty so there is no chance of HP replacing the motherboard. The question is would a wireless usb work on this laptop? I was thinking of purchasing a wireless usb to connect to a wireless network. I really don't know if there's a chance that this would work. Pls! any suggestion will be gladly appreciated Tnx in advance!!!

PS. built-in wireless is not detected in device manager this is a vista OS, this is a broadcom wireless adapter

Edited by chickmazta, 17 April 2009 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Yes, a USB-to-wireless adapter would work fine. You could also use an external wireless PCMCIA card if the laptop can support one. Both of these options should work fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the reply Sir Cloud. Sorry for being dumb but I have a few questions. If I purchase a wireless usb adapter or a PCMCIA card will I still need to turn on the wireless button in front of the laptop? Could I purchase any brand or model as long as it is wireless usb? I forgot to mention but the laptop doesn't support PCMCIA, so I think I would be using usb. My laptop model is Compaq Presario F572US.

This is just an example of what I've research in the internet, a USB Wireless Adapter, cause I really don't have any idea if this is the right one for me. Please if you can, would you give me and idea or example of a USB wireless adapter thanks in advance!!!

Attached File  TP_Link_TL_WN321G_WiFi_USB.bmp   7.29KB   158 downloads

Edited by chickmazta, 19 April 2009 - 09:26 AM.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Sorry for the delayed response, things have been crazy at work lately. :)

If you got an external wireless adapter you would not use the wireless switch. By getting an external adapter, you are bypassing the internal wireless networking device entirely.

I am not sure of that wireless adapter would work as I cannot tell the specs from the picture, but your best bet would be a name brand one that supports at least 802.11B and 802.11G.

Performing a quick Google Shopping Search returned these devices which would be fine: (*These are hyperlinks to the shopping search results. Feel free to click on them to see the results yourself)Please let me know if you have more questions or need further assistance. :)