Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox vs. IE8

• Please log in to reply

mommagee

mommagee

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I currently have IE8 (which I feel runs a bit slower & does not display my home page correctly). I've been told to use Firefox but am a little apprehensive. In your oppinion, is this the better route to go? Can you still view all the same sites as IE8... I thought some pages don't support Firefox etc. Also, if you do switch over, do you have to uninstall all the IE updates and so forth?

I'm just trying to keep my cpu safer since my last infection(s) "Essexboy"... u r amazing! :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
IE is only needed for those sites that are IE specific. Like the Micro$oft update site and some of the download sites on their servers. Some games like those on zone.msn require IE to play. You can use Maxthon which is an IE browser with some darn good features. Micro$oft used to sense what browser was being used and send that browser a screwed up stylesheet. That practice has pretty much stopped I believe.

Firefox is only as safe as a browser can be until it becomes THE #1 browser. :) FF does have some great and useful add-ins. Just check out the add-ins page on Mozilla. Also, you'll need to install the necessary plug-ins for Firefox available from the plug-in page.

mommagee

mommagee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanx for the info.
So you think Firefox or Maxthon is better?

If I do go this route, do I need to uninstal all IE stuff & updates etc?
How do I do this correctly & safely?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Negative. Do not uninstall IE or its updates. Maxthon uses the IE engine and is a good sub for those who don't like IE's GUI.

Firefox/Opera/Safari for Windows/ and the hundred of other browsers available have been safer than IE only because they have not been as popular. They all have exploits that hackers can use, but many companies work on finding them first and warning the browser developers.

Edited by Major Payne, 19 April 2009 - 10:00 AM.