Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen, computer will not boot into windows

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Emachines are not the easiest to rebuild. Now the last time I worked on one was 8 years ago. They may be more geared for upgrades now. Is this your machine HERE?
If it is what PSU wattage is it?
If this is it and depending on the PSU wattage. I believe you can do it.
If you have a camera can you take a picture of the back of the unit and attach it to your next reply?
If your attachment is to big to attach then go Here. Register and upload your file. Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Advertisements

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks for all the great advice! I did determine the motherboard has failed.
I took your advice and ordered the system from tiger direct.....
Received the items today and built the sytem!! Yeah, first one all by myself!!
(I have done others with help though)
Booted it up, no problems yet. Installed my harddrive from the old system and booted the computer again.
Now it ask me to activate my windows cd. I try and try, call tech number, they dirct me to emachines.
Support tells me, that since each specific recovery cd is designed for specific system, I can not use this operating system!!! Is that for real??? Is there a way to bypass this.
So not only does the product they sold fail, and I have to spend money to fix, now they tell me I have to
buy a new operating system!
Is there anything else I can do to get this done without purchasing new OS???
From your previous advice, i was under the impression that once i put my hd i, everything would be done.
THanks for your help. Nancy

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Jut saw your previous post, T6412, yeah that is my system.
I built with the new case from Tiger.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you try to activate does it give you any error code?

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
here is what happens,
I turn pc on, it goes into boot screen and
options say
Press F8 to enable system configuration
Pess F9 to select Booting Device after post
Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup

I press F8. ??? Maybe this is not the right option?? I tried to press F1 to continue and tried DEL but neither did a thing.
'
So anyway, as far as I remember, after I press F8 a windows opens and says I have to activate windows,
I don't believe there was an error code.
Now I have another problem. I turn the new PC on again and try to get into the windows activation screen so I can
tell you what it says. F8 will not respond screen is not going anywhere at this point, I thought maybe keyboard was not working, but I checked it, it is not the problem,
Now what???

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Help please!! I am still trying to resolve this issue.
Nor error is given, it will not let me activate online, says I have to call and
when I do so, emachines says I can not activate because the windows cd is meant only
for their specific pc. So if I can't activate the windows, how do I get the data off my hard drive??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The message says to call emachines?
Being windows needs to be reactivated you would need to call Microsoft. They will ask usually why you need to reactivate and you just tell them you had a major upgrade. They should be able to get your back up and running in a few minutes.

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Just to be clear, I do not have an actual windows cd, just the emachines cd that came with the computer.
Cd says : Emachines Machines Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition System Recovery CD?DVD And I do have the microsoft sticker on the back of my computer with the COA key.

Does it matter that it is not an actual windows retail cd like you would purchase from the store??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be a issue. The only way to do this any other way is to buy another hd and a new XP. Load it on the new hd and get everything back up and running.
Then slave your original hd to the new master and copy all your data over. Then reinstall your programs and move the data back into the programs.
Use Puppy Linux to be able to get to your data on your existing hd and back it up then format your drive with a newly purchased XP of the same type(Home or Pro). Reinstall all your programs and copy back your data.

The issue is that with a OEM install of a OS on a branded system the OEM belongs to that system. My suggestion would be to backup your data and then do a fresh install of XP. Unfortunately emachines may be right on this one.

Another option and I would have to ask a admin or moderator if this is possible first so give me a few to find one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The truth is as long as you have a valid registration key then you need to call Microsoft. They should not have any issue with it except for the question I stated before. Thanks to Broni a Tech Staff member for assisting with the question. :)
This will allow you to safely get windows running again when prompted at the activation screen as you stated. I would suggest that you be at that screen when you call Microsoft and they can assist you in real time with any questions that may arise. Please let me know if myself and GTG can help with any other questions once you are up and running again. :)

Advertisements

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks for the info.
I am going to contact them first thing this morning. I am anxious to get the new system going!
I will let you know later how it works out.

THanks again. Nancy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know what you find out and if there is any more we can help you with.

Edited by rshaffer61, 27 April 2009 - 06:34 AM.

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Woooooooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!

Windows is activated!!!!

New system is up and running, However, When the system boots up, it stays in the bios screen,
the options at the bottom of the screen say:
Prees F8 to Enable System Configuration
Press F9 to Select Booting Device after Post

I am not sure which option to choose??

I press F8 or F9, nothing happens
I CAN get into F1 or Del
So what do I do from here to get the system to automatically boot into windows without stopping at this screen????

!!!!

I am proud of my accomplishments so far!!!
Thanks to GTG, you are awesome and I now have a new system and it only cost me $181, plus the new DVD burner i installed for $32

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Windows is activated!!!!

New system is up and running, However, When the system boots up, it stays in the bios screen,

I CAN get into F1 or Del
So what do I do from here to get the system to automatically boot into windows without stopping at this screen????

!!!!

Thanks to GTG, you are awesome and I now have a new system and it only cost me $181, plus the new DVD burner i installed for $32

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Windows is activated!!!!

I CAN get into F1 or Del

!!!!