Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM issue

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have two PC's right now with this issue one is my laptop an HP Pavilion dv9207us and the other is my work PC which has an intel D865glc motherboard. Both did exactly the same thing when I put the RAM in the computers my OS recognized all of it. I have 4gb in my laptop and 3gb in my work PC,(64-bit vista business on laptop/64 bit Ubuntu Linux, 32-bit XP on Work PC). But after a little while it stopped recognizing all of it, my laptop only recognizes 3gb and my work PC recognizes 2.4gb. I don't know if Linux ever recognized all of it but right now it only shows 3gb.

In the bios I can see that the computer hardware is seeing all of the ram, in the bios of both they recognize the 4gb and the 3gb but once I start the OS they drop down to 3gb and 2.4gb.

I moved the ram in my work PC to another PC that has the same motherboard and cpu, and the 3gb is showing up on this pc whihc also has 32bit XP.

Any idea of what might cause this because like I said the first like 3 weeks the ram worked fine in the bios and in the OS.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I noticed both of these devices have integrated graphics. You may be seeing the integrated graphics allocating RAM for its own use (though 600MB+ seems a bit high).

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The latop has a nvidia 7600 geforce go I think it has 256 of decidated memory but it may be shared and I use an ati radeon 9550 on the work pc.