Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 6 crashes when selecting "File"

• Please log in to reply

rb123

rb123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
IE 6 crashes if I try to select “File” menu. Also Windows Explorer crashes if I right click anything. I get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down" error.
I have Disabled “Enable third party browser extensions” and disabled all “add-ons”; didn't help.
I ran sfc /scannow and it finds dll’s it wants to repair/replace but wants CD which I don’t have.
I tried “regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup – SourcePath” and everything points to C: - not pointing to D: (cd rom drive).
I've tried to reinstall IE 6 by:
"Method 3: Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 by using the Ie.inf file
If you already have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed, and you do not want to install Internet Explorer 8, you may be able to resolve problems with Internet Explorer 6 by using the Ie.inf file to reinstall Internet Explorer 6. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then press ENTER.
Find the Ie.inf file that is located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right-click the Ie.inf file, and then click Install.
Restart the computer when the file copy process is complete."
But I can’t do this because explorer crashes when I right click anything.
Nothing has worked!!!!

Advertisements