Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My speakers hate me

• Please log in to reply

Hamze

Hamze

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
My speakers aren't working. I notice svchost.exe gets to be a memory hog. Once I end the process, I would turn on my speakers and find they don't work. I looked in Control Panel - Sounds and I read "No Audio Device". I think speakers die after ending svchost.exe, I'm not sure. I did something with wuaclt.exe(not sure what the spelling is) and found that my speakers worked. That was after resetting. I hate resetting, however. I reset my computer this morning and the speakers still weren't working. I don't want to reset again. I've checked the cords and stuff. Looks good. So I don't know why the speakers aren't working...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Hamze

Hamze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Make - I'm not sure how to find this out. Could you help me out with that?
Model - System model is D845GVS1
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Age of the computer 5 years and 2 months
Memory Total - 512 MB
Hard Drive Size, How much free space - 71.7 GB, 47.5 GB of free space

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The make and model of the computer. Packard Bell, HP, Compaq, Gateway
The system model number you supplied seems to point toward motherboard as a Intel motherboard
On a side note Your memory is minimum for running XP. I would suggest increasing that to 1 gig
From your initial description it's not a speaker problem but a driver problem. You keep losing the audio device in device manager.
Go HERE to download the audio driver for your motherboard. Install it and then see if everything works.
I am also suspecting that your audio may be failing since it keeps leaving the movie show :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 11:36 AM.

Hamze

Hamze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I don't have the money for increasing the memory. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway. Everything is now working, thanks a bunch!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I ask how you got it working? This may help someone later who might have the same problem and read this topic.

Hamze

Hamze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Okay. I followed the website you gave me. I downloaded the "Automatic Realtek Driver Update Tool". I installed Driver Robot and followed its instruction. I reset my machine, turned on my speakers and found that they were working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great, Congratulations for a great resolution to your problem. Thank you for updating us on the fix that worked for you. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible