Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP!Home network, windows98se to windowsXP

• Please log in to reply

jack88

jack88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Hello! :) I have a windows 98SE as a main computer with highspeed internet connection connected to it. I have a second computer which runs on windows xp professional without any internet connection. I wish to keep windows 98 as the primary computer and try to make a home network with the windows xp as the secondary pc. I purchased a compusa 4 port router (10/100 Mbps) and I have also 2 extra rj-45 cables and AC adapter. I will appreciate any help or suggestions!! Thanks! ;) OK, I've tried to do it myself , I click start ,control panel, and double click network on my window 98 and then on the network configuration windows I click client for microsoft network. I put the rj-45 cable from the modem to the wan port, another cable from port 1 to windows 98 and another cable from port 2 to windows xp. Guess what, I could not get the internet on either of them, so I went back to the original set up ( withou the router) just to see if I can get online, and I couldn't. I lost the ip address. So, I had to call cox cable to release the new ip address and renew the original ip address. Thats why I put this request, because I'm a little scare to make another mistake. If someone out there have the expertise on how to make this work I will really appreciate. Thanks! ;)

Edited by jack88, 10 May 2005 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello jack88,
If you have a router, then you don't need a host computer (the router acts as the host). Once you have both computers plugged into the router, you should be able to use the Network Setup Wizard to set up your network. So long as you have TCP/IP installed on both computers (it should already be installed), you'll be fine. If you need more detailed instructions, or just general help, let me know.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Networking in 98 is completly different then in xp. Set up your sub domain and ip using the network config option located in the control panel. You also might have to setup a gateway to setup net usage. Then, look for the other comps by doing a find computers in the find menu of the start menu. You must have matching subnets in order to reconize the computers on a network

Thanks

David