Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Operating System

• Please log in to reply

Shelby281

Shelby281

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I started my old computer (had a 98 OS), it says, "Missing operating system".

I remember this old HP had a good running condition 98 and because I bought a new one, I stored it in the garage. Now that I wanted to keep it running again for the garage computer, the screen says this.

What seems to be the problem?

Edited by Shelby281, 09 May 2005 - 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could be several things given the computer was just sitting there for a while...

get your self a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and boot with it

at the a: prompt, type

a:\>sys c:

that will copy the boot files to the harddrive and may get you up and running if it was only a minor disk corruption

Shelby281

Shelby281

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a BootDisk and it doesn't seem to solve it.

Could be the HD crashed or corrupted? Or maybe the HD is damaged?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
when you boot with the disc change to c drive type c: [enter]
do you get the c> prompt if yes do a directory listing type dir [enter]
What do you get

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
peterm is on the right track, see if you can access the C drive at all.
one possibility is jumper settings on the hard disk. make sure the disk is plugged in correctly, has power, etc. then check jumpers, make sure it set to master, or single drive if appropriate.
the reason I bring this up, some drives (western digital for example) have a different jumper setting for whether they are the only disk on that IDE channel or not. single drive (no jumper) if its alone on the IDE channel, master if there is another drive.
if the jumper is wrong, it will cause the exact error you reported. it sure caused me some grief a couple years ago!
if you had a second hard drive in this PC at some time, the jumper settings are worth checking out.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Check to make sure your partitions are set and active. Check the jumper settings and see if the hd is located in the bios on startup. Good luck

David