Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy Error Messages on Startup

• Please log in to reply

kingair_87

kingair_87

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey guys,

So when I power on my girlfriends computer, she gets this black screen with a bunch of error messages on them that say...

"No Bootabl Device - - Insert Boot Disk And Press Any Key" as well as "Media Test Failure, Check Cable" and "Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key".

Also before these messages even pop up, her computer is making an awful clicking sound and it sounds like her hard drive is revving up and down.

I put in my XP disk, and it brought me to the windows setup screen to where it says that it's loading a bunch of stuff at the bottom. Then when it says, starting windows at the bottom of that blue screen, another blue screen pops up with a bunch of errors on it as well.

Any suggestions fellas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your hd is or has failed. Please include following info in next reply

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 12:43 PM.

kingair_87

kingair_87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Make: Gateway Desktop
Model: GT5405H
Operating System: XP Professional.
Memory total: I don't know
Hard Drive Size: 160 GB i think with only about 10GB used up.

kingair_87

kingair_87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I should also mention that the other day it magically started up okay after we pushed the power button like, 10 times. When the computer was started, everything was working just fine. We shut it off that night and started it up in the morning and we haven't been able to make it past these error messages.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok two issues I see already that may or may not be related to your issue
Hard drive free space is getting low and needs to be addressed soon.
To find out your memory we would have to have the system running.
Your description is consistent with a hard drive failure. I would suggest backing up your data from the problem drive asap.
To do this you can slave it to your hd in your system and backup her needed data only.
Programs can be reloaded later. The cost of a new hd is not expensive anymore as you can see Here

Go HERE to find all the information on your model of computer. It looks like the hd is actually a 250gb sata drive.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 01:13 PM.

kingair_87

kingair_87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So, I opened up the computer and took a look around the hard drive. I noticed that there was a connected cable attached to it labeled P5. The wires then continued a bit and there was another connection that was labeled P6 but the P6 was not connected. I looked around and there is no place for this to be connected. I don't know if this is the problem, just thought I'd mention it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are seeing are the power connectors from the PSU. It's normal to have some of them not connected as they only will go to a drive like hd or cd drive. Since your drives are already powered they are just extra's.