Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformat HP Vectra VL400

• Please log in to reply

tennkan

tennkan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I need help reformating my HP Vectra vl400 computer. I have:

A Windows XP CD
A Windows XP CD Key

I want to reformat it. I insert my XP disc and restart. I do not get any message that says press any key to boot/reformat. I have changed my bios settings so my Cd-Rom drive is first,still I get no message.

I have went to the boot menu on my computer and selected boot from my "Atapi Cd-Rom drive" no sucess. Whatever I do it just starts windows normally without booting.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you say
"I have went to the boot menu on my computer and selected boot from my "Atapi Cd-Rom drive" no sucess."
Did you click F10 to save and exit or go to save and exit?
Are the windows cd and key authentic? Did you recieve them when you bought the system?
What is the reason for format(We ask because formatting is always a last option)

tennkan

tennkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think I just hit save and exit, but over the past day or so I'd bet every option available has been tried.
The XP that is on there now is apparently not authentic, according to Microsoft. That is one reason why I'm trying to change it to one that is authentic - or even go back to Windows 2000 since this is a very small computer. We use this for surfing only - no files are saved to it. I'd really like to wipe it out and start over, but can't access anything that will let me wipe it out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First I need to know "Are the windows cd and key that you have original and authentic or are they burned or borrowed?"

tennkan

tennkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The one I have came with my laptop, so it should be the real deal.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I believe, you should be pressing F8 key at HP logo to access boot options.

tennkan

tennkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That was the 1st thing I tried. F8 has absolutely no effect on it. It proceeds right to Windows like a normal.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is why I question what you have. This is from post 3
"The XP that is on there now is apparently not authentic, according to Microsoft"
You also say the XP is from your laptop. Is the key code also from your laptop?

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 03:18 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

First I need to know "Are the windows cd and key that you have original and authentic or are they burned or borrowed?"

tennkan

tennkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
We got this computer from a friend. It already had XP on it. That's the XP that is apparently fraudulent. The XP CD that I'd like to boot from came with a laptop that I purchased new - so I know it is authentic. I have twice been able to access the CD to where it says to install, but after I click nothing happens at all - it just hangs forever. It is impossible to boot from the CD - I think this computer is from the days before that was possible.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

The XP CD that I'd like to boot from came with a laptop that I purchased new

It'd be illegal to install two copies of XP on two different computers, using same CD, unless you bought two licenses.

tennkan

tennkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I understand that, but thought I'd be given the option to purchase another license when the product key is entered.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
...and what product key would that be?