Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

After XP SP3 install, no boot, no beep

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have a Dell desktop which was working fine after replaceing the PS and updating the memory. I booted twice and went to contol panel to check if system updated memory size. Everything was fine, so I went to Windows update and did the SP3 program. When I rebooted after that, I only get the Dell logo and the bios info screen. I get no beep from the processor and just hangs there. What can I do?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reboot and when Dell Splash screen starts the begin tapping on F8. When it comes up to boot menu choose Safe mode only. Make sure you are logged in as Administrator and not as Admin rights profile.
Go to Start>Control Panel>Add\Remove Programs
Make sure the little box at the top of the windows is clicked that says "Show All Updates"
scroll down till you find SP3 update and uninstall\Remove it via the button to the right.
Exit the program and reboot. See if that will work. Reply with results

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
As soon as the Dell logo appears and the bios line forms, it locks. I have tried 3 times to hit F8 as soon as the screen appears and get a keyboard beep, but no response.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to tap F8 sooner then the splash screen? Does that work?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
yes, I tried that as well

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What model of Dell do you have?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
dell dimension 5100...it almost seems like the processor isn't responding

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the system is not under warranty then open it up. Find the cpu with the fan on top. Turn system on and see if the fan keeps turning. If not then you may have a mb or psu problem.
If it does then we will continue

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
yes, the fan is working....but I now have a new development. I turned it on and did the F8 afain until I got the keyboard beep and just left it for 30 minutes. When I returned, I got an error message that the system didn't locate an IDE drive. I went inside again and found that My power connection to the dvd was not good. I had very little room to connect it. However, it is now fixed...my, what a dummy...thanks for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system booting up now into windows?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
yes...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So everything is working correctly now? Wouldn't it be ironic that a simple power connection could cause all this mayhem? Please let me know.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 03:29 PM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
yes, since it was in the boot sequence, it locked up waiting for the continuance.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I'm very glad you managed to find the culprit for your problem.
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible