Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fried my registry

• Please log in to reply

Rtermite

Rtermite

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was having an issue getting SP3 installed in XP Pro and contacted MicroSoft. They sent two files: a reset.cmd and a subinacl file which was supposed to reset the permissions in my registry to let the SP3 install. It had kept stopping when it "updating registry keys". I got a Access is denied error.
Well I ran this file and it seemed to be working as it ran for about 25 minutes and I was watching it go thru various registries when the power went out.
When the power came back on computer would only boot to windows screen and just sit there. I tried safe mode and also tried the recovery option. Nothing I tried would let me in to go to either a restore to earlier or even have access to go to an earlier registry file if I could find it. I put another hard drive in the computer and loaded windows xp hoping I could recover my data from the first drive that way. I got everything but access is denied to "documents and settings/rtermite" in my original Hard Drive. Is there anyway to uplock this directory? If that is not possible is there any way to get to my favorities list, and my address book?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you set the hd that has the working Windows as the master, and the other one as the slave?

You could try Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
If that doesn't work either, then try copying the files in safe mode.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Rtermite...

With your drive connected as a slave to another machine, Take Ownership of the folders you need access to. You should then be able to copy them to another location. If the host machine is running XP Home Edition, this will have to be done from Safe Mode in order to access the Security tab options.

Are you able to boot this machine to Recovery Console using your Windows cd? If you can, we may be able to recover a saved registry using that.

wannabe1

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
wannabe1's direction is correct
although I have found that this may work also-

Concerning a particular file or folder.
Right click the file or folder, click properties,
and there may be an unblock command.
Click Unblock then Apply and then OK.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot___4_18_2009___10_08_35_PM.png

Edited by cmpm, 18 April 2009 - 08:19 PM.

Rtermite

Rtermite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hello Rtermite...

With your drive connected as a slave to another machine, Take Ownership of the folders you need access to. You should then be able to copy them to another location. If the host machine is running XP Home Edition, this will have to be done from Safe Mode in order to access the Security tab options.

Are you able to boot this machine to Recovery Console using your Windows cd? If you can, we may be able to recover a saved registry using that.

wannabe1

Thanks to everyone for their Suggestions. I went with this one as I like to try the one that has me do it for myself and learn. Worked just great as I now access to that directory and my favorites back in IE. To answer your question, no I couldn't get the Recovery Console to come up using the Windows cd.

I never set my old drive as a slave as it was an IDE drive and new one is a SATA so they're on different cables. I wasn't sure about this but thought I might have heard that before. Am I correct or will this be a problem? Just set it in Bios to boot from new one.

Secondly, where would I manually find my registry files on old drive so I could just rename backup copy to replace damaged one?

Third question if I'm not pushing it, what is address book file name in Outlook Express.

Thanks Again to everyone as I'm sure all of your suggestions would have done the trick.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try a different disk to access Recovery Console. Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version of Recorder for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

Boot from the RC.iso disk you created in the previous step...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the third to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp8 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

=====================

The Outlook Express address book is a .wab file and should be located at C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\user_name.wab

=====================

When you are using SATA and PATA (IDE) drives, and will be using a SATA drive as the system (boot) drive, it's a good idea to do the initial Windows install with only the system drive connected. While you should be offered the choice of which drive you want to install to, you may not see the drive letter assignments that you want or expect

Also, when you use a SATA drive as the system drive, any PATA drives can remain jumpered as masters regardless of their actual use in the machine.