Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage notifications gone...

• Please log in to reply

shyviolet

shyviolet

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello,

Please help.

Over the last month I've been getting messages from Microsoft telling me my computer didn't pass the test results for a genuine copy of Windows. Went to the place today where computer was purchased and the store manager did something with the license key.

Now the notifications are gone, but then I clicked on Control Panel>Security Center and saw that Automatic Update was OFF. Turned it back on again, and went to the Microsoft Update site where I saw the latest update that needs to be downloaded--Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474).

I was told at the computer store that what had occurred on my computer was that a bug from the past might have infected my computer and changed the license key of Windows and therefore Microsoft didn't accept my copy of Windows. After the manager fixed the computer, he said everything was fine. But now I have a very bad feeling in my stomach after finding out what Microsoft wants me to download.

Please tell me whether or not I've been duped and what I should do.

And, yes, Windows XP was preinstalled in the computer when first bought.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since there is a possibility of a infection then that needs to be taken care of first.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hello,

Please help.

Over the last month I've been getting messages from Microsoft telling me my computer didn't pass the test results for a genuine copy of Windows. Went to the place today where computer was purchased and the store manager did something with the license key.

Now the notifications are gone, but then I clicked on Control Panel>Security Center and saw that Automatic Update was OFF. Turned it back on again, and went to the Microsoft Update site where I saw the latest update that needs to be downloaded--Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474).

I was told at the computer store that what had occurred on my computer was that a bug from the past might have infected my computer and changed the license key of Windows and therefore Microsoft didn't accept my copy of Windows. After the manager fixed the computer, he said everything was fine. But now I have a very bad feeling in my stomach after finding out what Microsoft wants me to download.

Early versions of Genuine Advantage and/or Genuine Validation did report genuine copies of XP as non-genuine, typically the volume license keys in use by the big manufacturers. A trip to Windows Update updates this tool and the message should be sorted.
If you can get updates from Windows Updates without it complaining you should be fine.

shyviolet

shyviolet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Early versions of Genuine Advantage and/or Genuine Validation did report genuine copies of XP as non-genuine, typically the volume license keys in use by the big manufacturers. A trip to Windows Update updates this tool and the message should be sorted.
If you can get updates from Windows Updates without it complaining you should be fine.

Followed your advice by going to Windows Update and downloaded the WGA notification. After rebooting, I needed to finish the installation of WGA, and then came the verdict: genuine! Now I can download Windows Defender. Is that thing any good?

Neil: Thanks very much for the help! A simple step I could have taken if I hadn't freaked out :)

rshaffer61: Thank you too! I'd just finished running a full KIS scan and the log came out clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I use to have windows defender but changed over to one that GTG recommends. It's called avast and it actually is better and updates almost daily and sometimes twice a day. I would recommend it over Defender. It's called Avast and you can download it in my signature below. Also if you have no spyware protection you can download Superantispyware from my signature also. The last thing I would suggest is get Malwarebytes also.
This way you will have everything covered. Avast is a real time scanner so all you have to do is install it. Then register it on their site which is good for a year. After that year just register again. It's free to home users. Once it sets up it's good togo. Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are on demand. That means you manually have to run them when you feel the need to. This will help in protecting you from allot of the problems out there. Nothing is 100% but this way you can feel safer. I hope this helps and if you have any further question please feel free to post them.

shyviolet

shyviolet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I use to have windows defender but changed over to one that GTG recommends. It's called avast and it actually is better and updates almost daily and sometimes twice a day. I would recommend it over Defender. It's called Avast and you can download it in my signature below. Also if you have no spyware protection you can download Superantispyware from my signature also. The last thing I would suggest is get Malwarebytes also.
This way you will have everything covered. Avast is a real time scanner so all you have to do is install it. Then register it on their site which is good for a year. After that year just register again. It's free to home users. Once it sets up it's good togo. Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are on demand. That means you manually have to run them when you feel the need to. This will help in protecting you from allot of the problems out there. Nothing is 100% but this way you can feel safer. I hope this helps and if you have any further question please feel free to post them.

Avast + Superantispyware + MBAM + KIS = no conflicts?

Also, I have a question on MBAM. I have the purchased application, which is supposed to provide realtime protection and prevent my computer from infection, but I've found it only detects malware after I manually do the scan. Usually the registry keys are infected and maybe sometimes a file too.

Is that normal? I feel like paying $25 isn't worth it now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No conflicts as they are scanning for different types of files.
Avast does virus's
Super does only Spyware
MBAM is for malware

the program will work fine using the free version. You can do on demand scanning of any file you want by right clicking the file and then click on scan with each program. I scan every file I get 3 times to make sure I cover everything just to be safe. :)

shyviolet

shyviolet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
In my last post I meant I have already paid for the full MBAM version. I find it's very much like the free version, except for the scan and update settings. Doesn't prevent malware.

Last question, I hope: Is NoScript recommended by GTG?

Edited by shyviolet, 21 April 2009 - 09:06 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No program can guarantee 100% protection. There are dozens of new infections appearing everyday so the pace of keeping up is almost impossible. The makers of the programs do the best to update as soon as they can but it's a never ending cycle. My avast has updated 2 times already this morning. As far as No script I use to have it on my Firefox but found it to be more of a annoyance then what it was worth so I uninstalled it. Firefox has it a s a plugin and it doesn't interfere with your normal use of the internet then I see no reason for you to not use it. I hope this helps in answering your questions and feel free to ask as the GTG staff always says there is no dumb question but the one you don't ask.

shyviolet

shyviolet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

No program can guarantee 100% protection. There are dozens of new infections appearing everyday so the pace of keeping up is almost impossible. The makers of the programs do the best to update as soon as they can but it's a never ending cycle. My avast has updated 2 times already this morning.

Ok. I just wasn't sure if I was getting my money's worth.

As far as No script I use to have it on my Firefox but found it to be more of a annoyance then what it was worth so I uninstalled it. Firefox has it a s a plugin and it doesn't interfere with your normal use of the internet then I see no reason for you to not use it.

I think you're saying I should not download NoScript since Firefox already includes this. Can you confirm this? I got lost after "then I see no reason for you to not use it."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry for the confusion. What I'm saying is if you are comfortable with No Script and it does not interfere with your internet browsing then it is ok to use it. If your Firefox already has it installed then you are correct. There is no need to download it. :)

shyviolet

shyviolet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I'm sorry for the confusion. What I'm saying is if you are comfortable with No Script and it does not interfere with your internet browsing then it is ok to use it. If your Firefox already has it installed then you are correct. There is no need to download it. :)

Ok, I plan on downloading NoScript, Avast + Superantispyware. Hope that keeps malware away from me! :)

Thanks for the help again :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will give you a good start on it. Remember to register avast. That way you will be assured of getting updates as they are available and that seems to be daily.