Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAD_POOL_CALLER after Windows XP "repair"

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please check the ribbon on the 80 gig and make sure it is seated correctly on the mb and on the hd.
Also check the ribbon for any breakage as this can cause the crc error message
Let me know what you find out fro the above suggestions.

Advertisements

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I opened the box, the connectors seemed to be seated firmly. I jiggled them around a little, but it did not solve the problem. (did not re-run SeaTools, but other two symptoms are the same).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The seatools are just for the 80 gig unless new drive is the same make. I don't know if it will test the second drive as I have never tried it that way. I'm just worried that the 80 gig has taken the big nap and we may have just lost the fight. I don't want to admit that but this is not looking good. :)

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Disappointing, but not devastating.

I will take it to work to see if the techs can mount it (it's not really their job, but...).

FYI, the SeaTools I mentioned are the ones I got via (probably through some indirection) one of the links in your signature. The 80b is a Maxtor. Apparently they were bought/otherwise subsumed by Seagate(?). As you recall from earlier in the thread, the drive once passed this test, but now it doesn't.

The new HD I bought is Seagate and came with a newer version of SeaTools, but that is not what I ran for the above.

I agree it is not looking good but I have not abandoned all hope...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that is good. I don't give up either.
I forgot about the Maxtor buy out from Seagate and I apologize for that. Please keep me informed as to what happens. The good point though is that you have a newer faster and larger capacity drive to work with. I look forward to your update about the drive. Good luck and I hope you can save most of your data.