Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc hangs during windows xp reinstall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

user943

user943

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I hope that someone out there can help me (i've already tried 3 of my pc friends but still haven't resolved the problem).

Ok, here's the problem.

On Friday, i had planned to format & reinstall windows xp pro (with sp3 bundled) on my friends pc as he'd had it for 6yrs & his pc was running so slow. He'd been keeping up to date with disk defrag, c.cleaner, ad-aware & avg virus scanner. I ran all of the progs just to be sure. D/l'ed the drivers that i would need (his pc was built for him & he didn't get any driver disks with it) & started the process.

I got into the bios, set it to boot from cd, then selected the "c" partition & formatted it to ntfs thorough. After that the pc rebooted & started to install windows. Everything was going to plan, i entered the key & it continued to install. When i got to the "help protect your pc" page where it asks if you want automatic updates on, i selected "not right now" & hit "next". The pc then went no further. Sometimes the screen would go black, other times it would just freeze on that screen. I performed the whole ritual again - several times - but it would always freeze there. occassionaly i would get as far as assigning the users then hit "next" & it would freeze there - so close to the end!!!

I have a link to a page showing pics of the precedure & if you scroll down you can see exactly my point of no progress. Here's the link:

http://www.tweakhoun.../installXP1.htm

This is driving me mad. & i'm feeling bad as it's a friends pc (although he's not blaming me but i told him it was a relatively easy thing to do).

I know that the xp disk is fine because i formatted & reinstalled xp with that disk on my own pc just 2 weeks ago. The reason why i used my disk on his pc is because he bought the pc with xp pro already installed but with no product key (he didn't know about needing that or driver disks).

I was thinking about taking his hdd out & putting it in a spare tower & trying to do it that way, but it's the last option.
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I know that the xp disk is fine because i formatted & reinstalled xp with that disk on my own pc just 2 weeks ago. The reason why i used my disk on his pc is because he bought the pc with xp pro already installed but with no product key (he didn't know about needing that or driver disks).

Because of this statement GTG can not assist you pursuant to the Terms Of Use that you agreed on when registering with the site. Your friend will have to purchase a license from Microsoft at the least. The exact reason is below

Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights)

user943

user943

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh, ok. Like i said he didn't have the product key for his version & i wanted to spare him the expense of buying one as he already had the os. For future reference, if you buy a pc with the os already installed but aren't given the key, is there a way to get the key from teh os rather than pay again for the key?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Pursuant to the Terms of use guidlines as followed:
"Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc."

user943

user943

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, i understand. But not everyone who buys a pc knows to make sure they get the key with it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The key should be with the system if it's brand new system.

user943

user943

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes it should have been, but the pc was built for him by an independant computer shop & they didn't supply him with the key or any of the driver disks. He didn't know he needed one because this was his first pc & the first time it was being reinstalled. He'll just need to get in touch with microsoft & pay out to get what he should have had in the first place.

But i'll still have the same problem once he gets a key from microsoft. Do you have any objections to me reposting my problem on the forum once he has the key?

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...please excuse me if I appear to be 'butting in', but if this was a custom-built computer, the key should be physically on the computer somewhere. Did you look over his computer carefully for a Microsoft label, especially on the back...or perhaps even inside the case? If the builder had used an OEM set of Windows discs, there should have been a label included with those discs that is supposed to be attached to the computer. This label will have the Windows product key that came with those discs on it. System builders are supposed to attach that label to the computer (and give the discs to the customer!)...

Edited by ZedU54, 19 April 2009 - 11:28 AM.

user943

user943

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did have a look but there was nothing, not even inside the case. It's no surprise but this shop is no longer operating. I do feel sorry for my friend as it's not his fault, like i said not everyone knows these things - i certainly didn't when i got my first pc built by a shop - luckily for me i got disks etc with mine.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello user943...

While we cannot offer further help with the actual installation of Windows on this machine under the current set of circumstances, we can provide you with some additional information on making this a legal installation.

Your first step should be to contact Microsoft (1-800-RU-LEGIT) and explain the situation to them...that your friend purchased the machine from an independent builder and wasn't provided an operating system disk or a product key. They may offer him a new key at a reduced price...or maybe even at no charge. They will undoubtedly ask for more information about the builder.

Another option would be to purchase an OEM version of XP from an online retailer like newegg.com. This would come with a disk for future use and a valid product key. Keep in mind, though, that an OEM version is tied to the machine it's originally installed on, so it can't be used again should your friend decide to get another machine. A retail version of the operating system can be installed on any machine your friend owns...so long as it's only installed on one machine at any given time.

Sorry we couldn't be of more assistance.

wannabe1