Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - Gimp - repair problem

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Explaining this will not be easy since I'm a user, not a techie.
The Gimp went gunnysac. Why? No idea.
Uninstalled/reinstalled The Gimp.
When starting The Gimp, I got the following error:
The procedure entry point g_dir_open_utf8 could not be located in the dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll.
After working with people at 'gimptalk.com' and after trying to install several versions of The Gimp and GTK+, we get the same error message over and over. We came to the conclusion that the problem possibly lies outside Gimp.
I did a restore to a restore point a few weeks old wondering if a file needed by The Gimp might have been deleted. No luck.
I tried to do a system repair and was asked for the administrator password.
There is no administrator password that I know of and 'blank' does not work.

Is there a workaround for the administrator password? Probably not but thought I'd ask anyway.
If I'm forced to do a reinstall will EVERYTHING be erased?
Is it possible to do a reinstall without reformatting?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
dlw

Advertisements

gryghost

gryghost

• Pip
  • 1 posts

the admin password issue isnt a gimp issue there is actually a hidden admin user on your computer that you have to activate you have to go into the cmd and enter theis command  ---   net user administrator /active:yes   After that reboot your system.  The administrator user will be there.  there will be no password needed to access it.  At this point anytime you need to be on that user anytime you are installing new software.  That will eliminate that error.  Hope this information was able to get to you.