Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNKNOWN STARTUP

• Please log in to reply

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Using a Compaq N600c laptop with XP. Started machine this morning and it starts with a count up as follows
262144 KB OK

Then with this still on the black screen with the COMPAQ logo it shows

162 - System options not set

The following configuration options were automatically updated:
Total memory installed : 262144Kbytes
CMOS checksum invalid, default values loaded

Three blue boxes as follows
F1 Save Changes
F2 Ignore Changes
F10 Computer Setup

Pressing any of these does nothing nor does pressing any other keys. Can anyone advise what I can do I've switched off several times but nothing stops it showing this screen
Cheers

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look at this link and follow the instructions for "Resetting CMOS".

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Skeptic

Thanks but link doesn't work

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It does.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
It doesn't. This is what I get

page cannot be found
(This document is no longer available. We are sorry about any inconvenience.)

Try the following options:

go to homepage
Go to HP Business Support homepage to look for links to the information you want.

search the site
Search HP Business Support.

send feedback to us
Send feedback to HP Business Support site webmaster.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's odd because even now I can approach the page without any problem. Anyway, the idea is that the BIOS must be reset. Please follow the instructions that I copied for you:

Resetting CMOS
System configuration settings are stored in CMOS memory. Restoring defaults in the Computer Setup utility will restore most of the system settings. If the system configuration has become corrupt and you cannot boot the system, use the following procedure to reset all the current CMOS settings and return the computer to its factory default settings.
CAUTION: Clearing CMOS resets the CMOS values to their factory defaults and erases any customized information, excluding passwords and asset numbers. Do not reset CMOS unless you are sure the system configuration is corrupt or you want to reset the original configuration.

To reset CMOS, follow these steps:
Turn off the system.
Turn on the system, and simultaneously press the FN and F11 keys when the system begins to boot. The system reboots.
Reset the desired CMOS settings using the Computer Setup utility.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks Skeptic tried it but it didn't do anything. Keeps doin what I posted originally.
Cheers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The CMOS battery should be checked. It should show at least 3 volt when checked with a voltmeter or replaced with a new battery of similar size. Reaching this battery in a laptop is not as easy as with a desktop. If you have a user manual please look at it or search for the manual in HP site. Just before you do the search try to open the small covers at the bottom of the computer and see if the battery is there (looks like a silver button). If you are lucky then this will be easy. If not, search like I said. I'll also try to search on my side.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the battery checks out good ...( I would replace it ...they are only about 6 bucks)..go into the bios and set it to default or safe or optimized usually F5 but read the screens to be sure......save the settings usually F10 but read the screens to be sure...
are you still getting the Checksum error..
Checksum error = A test done by a BIOS on itself to make sure that it is properly loaded into the EEPROM. If there is a checksum error then the BIOS was flashed incorrectly or a virus or other program scrambled the stored BIOS program and the laptop will not operate correctly - if at all.

Edited by happyrock, 20 April 2009 - 11:40 AM.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks again for the replies. I found the manual at the HP site but it says/shows that the battery is located under the memory expansion slot compartment. I took off the cover and released the memory but theres no way to get the board off its not like the pic in the manual. I've hada look under the keyboard but thats no help either

http://h20000.www2.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try setting the bios to default yet

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sometimes it's very complicated to take off the CMOS battery of a lap top. Please try Happyrock's suggestion as it is very easy to do.

The problem looks like a clear BIOS one. The battery must be replaced before we declare the BIOS (and, as a result, the motherboard) as damaged, possibly beyond repair.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Can't get into BIOS no matter what key I hit the same screen appears as in my original post

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you pressing and holding both the FN and F11 keys at the same time as soon as you try powering up...like The Skeptic advised
nojoy then go here and download the manual for your notebook...section 5.3 to 5.6 covers the procedure to remove and replace the cmos battery... maintenance and service guide...get the one dated 30 jul 07

Edited by happyrock, 21 April 2009 - 08:19 AM.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks Happyrock managed to locate the battery (I think) small cell disc with a connnector attached. Anway disconnected it and will try to get it tested. Did put it back in after half an hour but again same screen starts up. Even pressing FN and F11 changes nothing
Thanks I will update once battery sorted. Thanks to everyone for their help it really is appreciated