Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNKNOWN STARTUP

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is what the battery looks like..

Advertisements

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Yes its like that but has two wires soldered to it, one on each side black and red which meet into a small white connector

Attached Thumbnails

• CMOS_BATT.JPG

Edited by NOTEVER, 22 April 2009 - 05:00 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thats it...

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Battery checked and showed 1volt. Bought replacement but had to superglue wires on to each side. Booted up with new battery but no change to whats happened previously. Does that mean this machines for the bin?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are you sure you are getting a good contact between the glued wires and the battery? Usually this is done by soldering, taking care not to ovrheat the battery. Please check voltage at the connector and see what you get. If you get 3 volt or more then I am afraid that the motherboard is faulty and must be replaced. As a last test I would remove the hard disk and a memory module, if you have more then one, and reboot. If you have more then one module please repeat the test with the second module installed.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Skeptic
Soldered the wires as you suggested but again made no difference. Don't have a way of testing voltage. Removed hard disk and memory again no change. Is there a a cable I can get that will allow me to remove and connect the laptop hard drive to my desktop pc?
Cheers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My preference is a multi-purpose adapter that can be used co connect SATA, 3.5" and 2.5" IDE drives (the last is what you have on most laptops) to a USB port on another computer. Where I live they cost 20-25$ and can be bought in any discent computer shop. Have a look at this link to get an idea what the device is.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks once again for your helpful reply. Cheers

Edited by NOTEVER, 24 April 2009 - 06:31 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Battery checked and showed 1volt.

this is your problem..try buying the replacement battery from your computer manufactures website
this is one adapter that I use and it been working fine(about 20 drives so far)...actually stopped using it when I got this one here...its much easier to use..but way more expensive...

Edited by happyrock, 24 April 2009 - 09:31 AM.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks happyrock but I'm in the UK. Can't just get the battery at the website its a Plastics kit - Contains memory expansion bay cover, mini PCI bay cover, processor bracket, modem cable, hard drive bezel, RTC battery, MultiPort module cover, rubber feet, PC Card slot space saver, and RJ-11 port cover, so I think I'll just go for the adapter and try to recover the info on the drive. Again your help was most appreciated

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you saying you can not get a battery all by itself.. :) :) :) :) ...
you may want to call their support center to verify that...
BUT if its true let me know the brand name... and if nothing else I will badmouth them to everybody that will listen and never recommend anything they make period...thieving s.o.b's :no:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
With your permission happyrock; if the computer was tested with a replacement battery and the problem remained the same then there is no point in taking the effort to buy an original part. All these batteries give about 3V, drawing miniscule amount of current. For test purposes a replacement is as good as an original.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
happrock it appears that when you try to get a battery at the HP site its included in all that other stuff in what they call the plastics kit for £30. I couldn't find the battery on its own, the picture shown for the plastics kit clearly shows the battery I've got.
http://h20141.www2.h...eria=241439-001

Skeptic I'm inclined to agree I don't want to waste any money on something that looks dead in the water so I think I'll try to recover the data on the drive and bin the machine.
Cheers

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

if the computer was tested with a replacement battery and the problem remained the same then there is no point in taking the effort to buy an original part. All these batteries give about 3V, drawing miniscule amount of current. For test purposes a replacement is as good as an original.

I agree totally...but superglueing the leads would not allow any current at all to pass thru to the mobo

NOTEVER if you just want to recover your data and move on ...go for it.. :)

Edited by happyrock, 25 April 2009 - 07:34 AM.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
happyrock the guy I got the replacement battery from said superglue would be ok to use as it would allow the current to flow. I've unglued the wires and held them against the battery and started the pc but that didn't change things so I'm stumped now. I would have liked to keep the laptop but I feel I'm wasting everyones time. I think I'll try the adapter you mentioned and move on. Thanks again