Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Jacob929292

Jacob929292

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I followed the reinstall windows XP guide on this website and got stuck at one of the steps.
On the step where you choose to repair Windows XP in the bos i get.

76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Unknown] 76309 MB < 76308 MB free>
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

Does anyone know what i can do on this step to re-install windows xp without deleting all my files.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hate to say it but
according to this. There is no OS system or files on the drive. It looks like you may have formatted and not repaired

Jacob929292

Jacob929292

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

I hate to say it but
according to this. There is no OS system or files on the drive. It looks like you may have formatted and not repaired

But i haven't done anything yet???
I was trying to repair it because i got the "Windows could not be started Corected"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry but if this is what you are seeing when you push R and it asks what installation you want to repair.
The drive is 80 gigs in size. After Partition and format it will show 76.3 gigs free. Your drive is showing 76.3 gigs free.
Also looking at the C:Partition 1[Unknown] tells me that a installation on the drive would have said Windows Xp Home or Pro
Yours says Unknown which means there is no OS system installed on the system.
When you try to boot just to the hd does it say No Boot or Please insert boot disk and press enter?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You asked
"If i did screw it up how do i now get my computer back to XP (install it)?? "
Do you have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP disc with a authenticate Registration Key?

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 10:26 AM.