Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to Login 0X0000007B (0XF78D663C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X0000

• Please log in to reply

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I know my response is way too late (just couldn't get back to this). Hoping to hear your replies.
Anyways I followed the instructions (using Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool) and below is the list of compatible RAMs
Step1: HP-compaq
Step2: HP-Compaq Pavilion A Series
Step3: Pavilion Media Center a1640n

Based on the above input the Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool displayed the list of compatible RAMs

a) 1GB kit (512MBx2)
Part #: CT625707 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64 • • more details

b) 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Part #: CT625693 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 • • more details

c) 4GB kit (2GBx2)
Part #: CT625719 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 • • more details

My desktop came with 2GB at the time of purchase. So, should I purchase the 2GB RAM or even 1GB RAM would serve the purpose (Personally, I would like to test the puppy CD with the 1GB ram and if it goes well, then I want to upgrade to 2 GB RAM.)

Any precautions while removing the old RAM and replacing with the new RAM? Do i need to go through the BIOS for the system to recognize the new RAM?

Advance Thankx

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Based on the information from Crucial I would say that putting 2 gigs of memory in per option B would be your best bet.
You can go HERE or
HERE and see what the memory will cost.

The second choice make sure you scroll down to the single sticks of 2 gig memory.
It looks like you will be looking between 21 and 30 for 2 gigs of memory from either place.

"Any precautions while removing the old RAM and replacing with the new RAM? Do i need to go through the BIOS for the system to recognize the new RAM? "

BIOS will auto detect the new memory so you should not have to adjust anything.

Just try not to touch the gold leads on the memory. Oil from your fingers could cause contact problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 May 2009 - 01:25 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't get the second option that rshaffer61 recommended...its Voltage: is 2.2V
according to crucial the ram for your system should only be 1.8V...
1 Gig here for $16.00
2 Gigs here for $26.00

this is $50.00 for 4 GBs here
as far as RAM is concerned...more is always better... :)

Edited by happyrock, 02 May 2009 - 06:34 PM.

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks happyrock & rshaffer61 for your responses.
I purchased the below configuration of RAM as suggested by Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool with an exception

Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool suggested the below configuration
b) 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Part #: CT625693 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 • • more details

I tried Best Buy and Frys and they both seem to carry only DDR2 PC-5300 (note: the 2 is missing in PC2). Everything else matches with the configuration recommended by Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool.

Does that letter "2" after "PC" makes any difference? I just make to make sure before I try. According to them they said "2" refers to '2 "1 GB" ' sticks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
PC-5300, PC2-5300, PC2-5400 and DDR2-667 all mean the same thing

Edited by happyrock, 03 May 2009 - 06:53 AM.

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the repsonse and your clarification with the memory specs.

I still haven't tried it in my desktop.
I loaded the puppy CD in my laptop (the desktop is what has a problem) which works to make myself comfortable with the process.
What I wanted to achieve is basically to do a sample backup of the files & folders from the laptop to USB flash drive/external hard drive. I wanted to test this first on the laptop before i try it on the desktop.
The PuppyCD loaded and process went through fine. I see the different menu items that Puppy displays.
I want to know which options to choose from the Puppy CD menu to copy the files/folder from my laptop c: drive, desktop, mydocuments etc. to USB flash drive? Once I get this going then I will be trying it on the desktop.

Advance thankx for continuing to respond.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..
this was prepared for a flash drive but external drives will be the same..just substitute external drive where flash drive is mentioned

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions.
I ran it in my working laptop and it went through fine and I made myself comfortable with the process.

Now, I switched over to my problem desktop. These are the steps I followed:

1) As suggested I replaced the RAM with 2 1GB sticks in the slots where the previous 2 1GB sticks were.
2) Now I loaded the puppy CD hoping that this would go through.
3) Unfortunately, as before the Puppy CD started displaying few messages (as before) and it stopped after
"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel." statement.

4) This was the same statement where it stopped previously before replacing the RAM.

Any suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just reread the whole thread :) ....my first thought was to have you get UBCD and test the RAM...CPU...HARD drive...ect...but if you are unable to boot using puppy, ubcd probably won't work either...
it won't hurt anything to try it and it will give me some time to ponder this a little more... :)

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello Happyrock,
I have a question about the UBCD. I clicked on the link that you sent and on one of the screen, it says download for free and then when I click on it, it says $49. Can you let me know if this is free for download or is there a fee?
I have to think about spending $49 as you have mentioned you are not sure that this would work.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here ... get the .ISO image...its free

Edited by happyrock, 06 May 2009 - 10:54 PM.

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the link. I was able to successfuly write the UBCD in a CD.
Loaded the UBCD in my desktop and system recognized it. The system displayed the following

Please enter to boot from CD
boot: (I hit the enter key here)

System displayed the following options:
Ultimate Boot CD 4.1.1
Mainboard tools
Hard disk tools
File System tools
Other Tools
User Defined tools
DOS/Linux Boot Disks
*Boot First Hard Disk
*Boot second hard disk

Within each selections there are multiple subselections that I can choose and run.
I ran one of the test for Memory. So far no issues/errors. This was one of the selections within Mainboard tools. It does take lot of time. I am going to let it run overnight and keep you posted of the results.

I have 2 questions:
a) Why was the desktop able to process UBCD but not the PuppyCD (it starts the process and then it hangs)

b) What specific tests would you recommend running for the UBCD. There are lots of options even within memory test. In your previous post you had recommended running CPU, RAM, harddisk etc. It does take lot of time.

I am learning a lot throughout this process and I would like to convey my thanks to rshaffer61 and you (happyrock) for your patience and your replies.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I have 2 questions:
a) Why was the desktop able to process UBCD but not the PuppyCD (it starts the process and then it hangs)
my guess is either you had a incomplete download for puppy or a bad burn..

b) What specific tests would you recommend running for the UBCD. There are lots of options even within memory test. In your previous post you had recommended running CPU, RAM, harddisk etc. It does take lot of time.

run the CPU, RAM, harddisk for starters...and yes this does take time...

Edited by happyrock, 09 May 2009 - 06:55 AM.

hidy

hidy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Happyrock,
I think you misunderstood.
The puppyCD works fine in my laptop.
But in my desktop which has the problem it recognizes the PuppyCD displays few messages (see below) and then stops

Loading puppycd
acpi = off Default on for PCs >2001, may give boot/shutdown probs.
ide =nodma Booting from some CF cards needs this.
pfix=ram Run Puppy totally in RAM ignore saved sessions,
pfix=<n> number of saved sessions to ignore (multisession-CD),
pfix=nox commandline only, do not start X,
pfix =usbcard boot from PCMCIA USB drive,
pfix=clean file cleanup (simulate version upgrade),
pfix =purge more radile file cleanup(to fix broken system),
pfix=rdsh,debug options for developers only (ramdisk shell, verbose debug).

Examples:
puppy acpi=off pfix=2 Blacklist last 2 saved sessions, multi-CD/DVD.
puppy vga=785 pfix=ram Run in RAM (ignore any prior saved session).
puppy pfix=nox,usbcard Boot from PCMCIA-USB drive, do not start X.

boot:
Loading vmlinuz......................
Loading initrd.gz..................
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
-
This is where the blinking cursor stopped.

So based on the above scenario where the puppycd works fine in laptop but not in my desktop, you had recommended me to change the RAM on my desktop. I replaced the RAM in my desktop and still the PuppyCD hung at the same place as above. Also I don't think it's an issue with a bad cd burn because the puppycd works fine in laptop but not in the desktop.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...forgot you did say it worked on your laptop...get to many similar threads going and I get them jumbled together in my mind..

how long did you let it stay at Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel. before you gave up

Edited by happyrock, 09 May 2009 - 11:22 AM.