Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a laptop motherboard be upgraded like a pc?

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I have a Toshiba laptop 1605cds with 160mb max memory running Win 98se. Can I treat it like a pc and upgrade the board to one that runs XP?

Strange, but thought I would ask. Always been told the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Thanks.
Joe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be done but honestly it's not worth the money to do. You can buy a new laptop for probably the same price as a new motherboard would cost you with the work being done also.
Running 98 and trying to do what you want is going to be expensive for sure.
My suggestion is to look HERE or HERE for a new laptop with XP or Vista on it.
You can compare the prices and decide what features are important for you to have. Alos depending on what the main use of the laptop will be will make a difference in what you get. Let us know if you find a couple that you want to compare and we can try to assist you further.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thanks, rshaffer61.

Kind of what I figured.

Joe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. Let us know how it goes.