Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD player(s) Will NOT install.....

• Please log in to reply

InPhaze

InPhaze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
My USB Toshiba DVD/CD drive stopped working.. under devices the computer ids the unit with a little YELLOW (!)... but under my computer
there is NO icon for the DVD. reinstalled drivers.. still NO working.. thought it was defective drive. tryed it on another computer WORKS just
fine.. Tried TWO other IDE cd/dvd drives on first computer.. same little YELLOW (!)... mind you the computer ids all the Drives when it trys to
install... correct name and every thing comes up in the new hardware pop up.. but the final message in there is a problem with the NEW HARDWARE..

I know it can't be ALL (3) drives.. especially after having the USB work on another XP system..

please help.
thanks
Love the forum. very informative.

Jon

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hello InPhaze and welcome to Geeks to Go!

It sounds like we have a few possible issues taking place. I want to start with the operating system first so we can rule out a few things. Please follow these instructions carefully. If you have any questions or become lost then stop what you are doing and ask. You may also find it helpful to print these instructions out before working through the steps.

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

Good luck! :)