Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Start Windows even in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

chazzye

chazzye

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm using a desktop Gateway running XP Media Center Edition. I can't start windows even in safe mode. I see a flash of "windows is starting" before the "log on to windows" box comes up. I've never had a user name or password for this screen. I've tried using the name of the computer, then at the password box using ctr,alt and hitting delete twice. I then get the message that the system couldn't log me in and to make sure the user name and domain are correct and that passwords are case sensitive.
Gateway wants $60 for 30 mins-$200 for 90 mins to attempt to help.( out of warranty)Microsoft just flat out said they couldn't help, contact the manufacturer or a outside tech. I had to switch towers with my son just to contact you. PLEASE SAY YOU CAN HELP ME!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

Make Gateway
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

chazzye

chazzye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Make Gateway-Media Center Quick Ship
Model-3250X
Operating System-XP
Age of the computer-2/2005
Memory Total- can't access info
Hard Drive Size, How much free space--can't access info
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started-no updates done before this problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets see what we can do. First thing is to try and see if there is a problem with the login userinit.exe file.
Try this

Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When promted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key. When you see the window that says welcome to windows setup
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp pro cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result

It looks as tho it's trying to log in but then logging right off. this will help to rebuild your profile and hopefully let it continue into windows.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 04:41 PM.

chazzye

chazzye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I had health issues, sorry it took so long to reply.
I followed your directions. After typing in what you told me-expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
it never said 1 file copied. It came back with "program not found".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Welcome back chazzye and I hope you are better now.
Since the userinit fix did not work then we have limited options at this point. With that in mind lets try a SFC scan and see if it will fix the problem.

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to repair xp if you can't even boot into safe mode...the how to is here...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That was the next suggestion Happyrock :) :)

chazzye

chazzye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
My son find the recovery disks for this computer. Ran the first one of six and got it running. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. You are the best! :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the system is running correctly now?

chazzye

chazzye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
yea, so far so good. I just gotta get the router connection working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. Good job at resolving your issue. :) :) :)
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed myself and Happyrock to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)