Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows unable to start : missing file

• Please log in to reply

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey there, i am unable to start my computer because "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll" is missing, and it wants me to reinstall the file. I was downloading a new audio driver for my sound card (sigmatel), and when it told me to restart, an error message popped up. My peerguardian also crashed right before. How do I fix this? I am typing this on my ps3, but I have access to another computer. I do not wish to reboot, because I have a lot of files on there that I would not like to delete. Is there any way to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Many possible causes: http://pcsupport.abo...ssinghaldll.htm

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I put in a compaq windows xp restore disc, (it works the same as any other restore disc) and it gave me an error screen, something about pci.sys. is there a way I can solve this without using an xp boot disk?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm afraid, you'll need Windows XP CD.
You may try to borrow one.

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
oh, no...I used the officical dell recovery disk that came with my pc, and i got the same pci.sys error. is there any other way to fix this before I give this to computer repair?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I used the officical dell recovery disk

...and you did what with it?

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I booted it in an attempt to access windows recovery console....and then i got the same pci.sys error

actually, I've plugged my hdd into another almost identical computer, and im planning on copying the hal.dll from the normal computer to the other hard drive. the two drives showed up in my computer, but after a restart it doesn't show up any more. can you help me with that? how do i make my computer read both hard drives? Everything that is needed is plugged in, but it's not showing up...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you slave HD from bad computer in some good computer?
Make sure, your steps were correct: http://www.dtidata.c...ave-hard-drive/

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
thanks,i plugged it in, but its not reading it...i tried going in set up and tried to activate the sata drives...but it still wouldn't work. i guess more restarts for me.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run, type in:
diskmgmt.msc
Click OK.
Is it listed there? If so, what's its status?

Advertisements

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
everything's there except my affected hd.
it worked once, and it doesn't even show up now. there are 4 sata cable ports, with the unaffected drive as a master, and the affected one plugged right beneath it. it's not still reading. ARGH!!

Edited by ripslymemc, 23 April 2009 - 07:08 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IF the drive is connected correctly, and it still doesn't show in Disk Management, unfortunately, it's most likely dead.

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
finally, got everything working. turns out i activated the wrong drive in boot menu, (it was sata01, not sata02) and I put in the wrong cable (i connected to pc towers for the extra cables, things got messed up). i have replaced all hal.dll files from my c drive to my e drive, but it doesn't seem to be working...

what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: i just ran diskmgmt.msc and it said both drives were healthy :):)

Edited by ripslymemc, 26 April 2009 - 02:31 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Many possible causes: http://pcsupport.abo...ssinghaldll.htm

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
okay, now that I've got two drives running on my comp, would running windows Windows XP System restore via command prompt affect both drives? and if i enter windows recovery console by a cd would that affect both drives too?