Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hearing Sound on Internet

• Please log in to reply

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so here is my problem. Hopefully someone can help. My music and videos play on I tunes, but when I go to ANY other website I can't hear anything. No sound effects, music, videos, nothing. Sound is okay on the rest of my computer. Can anybody help with this? thanks!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What browser, version? Did you try another browser?
Do you have Windows sounds? Can you play music CDs?

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Using Windows Internet Explorer. I have window sounds just not with the Internet. I can play CDs and DVDs. I can hear I tunes and Limewire through the internet, but not things like youtube and myspace, abc. Limewire and I tunes are both on my desktop though. Per your question about another browser. I went and tried opening youtube through Safari and everything worked fine! So thanks for that. Just wish I knew why Windows Internet isn't working!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What IE version is it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you go to the Tools at the top of IE windows and then click on Internet Options
In the new window click on the Advance tab>scroll down in the window to the multimedia section and make sure the following is checked

Play Animations in webpages
Play sounds in webpages

Click apply then ok. You will have to restart IE for the changes to take affect. Please let us know if this was unchecked and what the results were.

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so I had tried that earlier and got this message: The operation has been cancelled due to restrications in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. I just bipassed this message. I tried to figure out the settings so it wouldn't cancel it. But I am not THAT computer savy. : |

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

What IE version is it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this system on a network at home or work?

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it's just my personal computer at home - my laptop

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm trying to establish what IE version we're dealing with here, but it seems to be impossible to get an answer...

Advertisements

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I apologize. I'm trying to give you all the info I can Broni. I am not that computer aware and I didn't set up my computer. I believe the answer to your previous question (that I just now read) is Windows xp version 8. Does that answer the question?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No reason to apologize :)
Open Internet Explorer. Click Help>About Internet Explorer, and it'll tell you what version it is.

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Internet Explorer 8 version 8.0.6001.18702

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Was the problem present in IE7?
You can try to uninstall IE8: http://support.micro...957700#fixit4me

ttu3dg16

ttu3dg16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It was a problem in IE7, but just recently (like the last week) up till then it was working fine. I updated to IE8 thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't