Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I defrag?

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I had a cleanup of my discs the other day and afterwards defragged my internal C drive.

I have tried to defrag my WD USB external drive but each time I get the message that the F Drive (which is it) has a pending chkdsk and would I like to run chkdsk /F? If I try to run *that* I get a DOS window saying:

>>"The type of file is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"<<

I have tried giving this the "Yes" and rebooting - and each time the system reboots --- and runs chkdsk on the C DRIVE!

I can't seem to get through these blocks to defrag my F Drive!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What defragger are you using?
Try to use Auslogics Disk Defrag: http://download.cnet...e...&tag=button

Or to chkdsk your F drive, in command prompt, type in chkdsk F: /f

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
What exactly you want to do? CHKDSK command is not for Defragmentation. CHKDSK use for Check Disk error.
If you want to defrag to drive, then you should Go the Start > Program > Accessories > system tools > Disk Defragmenter. See attachment

Attached Thumbnails

• Defragmentation.JPG

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

What exactly you want to do? CHKDSK command is not for Defragmentation. CHKDSK use for Check Disk error.
If you want to defrag to drive, then you should Go the Start > Program > Accessories > system tools > Disk Defragmenter. See attachment

As I said in the original post, Windows won't *let* me defrag!

If I select J drive and defrag, it says that I have a pending scandisk - that's it. There's no way that it will allow me to go past that message.

If I try to run the scandisk on F - it says I have to reboot and it will do it then - and if I *do* reboot - the C drive scans!

However, another kind gent has put me onto another defrag - which works.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

What defragger are you using?
Try to use Auslogics Disk Defrag: http://download.cnet...e...&tag=button

Or to chkdsk your F drive, in command prompt, type in chkdsk F: /f

Many thanks - that worked!

The chkdsk F: /f command did run the check on F - although it took three seconds for a 300GB disc instead of the several minutes that the C drive took under the above procedure. Why?

The defrag utility worked out of the box - thanks. I will ignore Mr Gates's "feature" from now on !

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

The chkdsk F: /f command did run the check on F - although it took three seconds for a 300GB disc instead of the several minutes that the C drive took under the above procedure. Why?

Im not too sure why, but I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem! Good job! :)

Try running the windows defrag now. Does it prompt you to do a chkdsk now?

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Im not too sure why, but I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem! Good job! :)

Try running the windows defrag now. Does it prompt you to do a chkdsk now?

Interesting to find out!

Give me a few minutes and I will try to defrag the F drive using Windoze, and will document what transpires!

(If it works, I will have to get back tomorrow!)

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Back again!

What happens is:

Firstly, I close all applications using EndItAll, to avoid any coflicts.

Then My Computer > J Drive > RT click > Properties > Tools > Defrag now

The Disk Defrag window comes up, I select J Drive and click DeFrag.

A Windows error window pops up, with a big red cross. The window title is "Disk defragmenter" and the message is "Disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume :MyBook (J:). Please run chkdsk /F"

I click "OK" out of the window.

I go Start > Run > chkdsk /j > OK and a black pane pops up with some system font text for a fraction of a second - too fast to read before it disappears.

If I Run > chkdsk /F as above, a DOS window appears:

"Type of file NTFS
Cannot lock current drive
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked when system restartes? Y/N"

I eneter "Y" and reboot.

On reboot a blue screen appears and the C Drive is checked (checking file system, verifying data, verifying files, verifying indexes, verifying security descriptors etc) before a normal boot completes.

And back to the top: Windows still won't defrag, with the same sequence of messages!

But, as I said, the other defrag prog works well!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You have to run the command as such to run chkdsk on the J drive.

chkdsk J: /f

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

You have to run the command as such to run chkdsk on the J drive.

chkdsk J: /f

When I try this it says that the volume is in use by another process, and offers to forcibly "dismount" the drive.

I was familiar with drive mounting/unmounting in RISCOS but not Windows: if I say Y to a "forcible dismount" will I be able to regain the drive afterwards?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try doing this through the recovery console then.
Boot into the recovery console, and run chkdsk J: /f

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Don't know what you mean: the recovery console gives 2 choices - full system and program reinstall from reformat or just overinstall windows and programs!

(The HP recovery application resides on the D Drive.)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, and follow the steps to make a CD.
Once you have the CD boot from it, and select your Windows installation.
Then run chkdsk J: /f

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, and follow the steps to make a CD.
Once you have the CD boot from it, and select your Windows installation.
Then run chkdsk J: /f

No luck there!

I downloaded and burned the ISO image, set my computer to boot exCDROM and rebooted: it spun the CD for a couple of minutes and booted up as normal into Windoze!

I can feel another reformat coming on......

Question: if I reformat, can I reinstall SP3 without doing SP2 first?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Are you sure that you burned the image properly?
try burning the disc image at a very slow speed, to reduce the chance of errors (1X)