Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting my PC to TV via VGA (wierd problem)

• Please log in to reply

really_stupid

really_stupid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is strange. I bought a VGA cable to connect my laptop to TV. Got home hooked it up and boom picture shows right up on TV. Now I go to get back on computer and picture will not show on TV. I change the source to PC on my TV and it says format not supported. I know my laptop still recognizes that its connected because when I right click on desktop it gives me option of NOTEBOOK or MONITOR. I put it on monitor setting and it switches over to the TV but the TV just sits there saying format not supported(even though it was working before). Do I need to download some sort of driver/software to get it to work?

UPDATE: Got it to show back up on TV. I actually had to disable the drivers that windows automatically installed.

I'm using:
Windows Vista on my Toshiba labtop
32" magnavox TV

Things I tried:
Restarted computer like 5 times with TV on and off.
Messed with settings on Computer.
disconnected, reconnected cable
Went to Device manager. Computer recognizes monitor/tv is connected. Updated drivers and still no luck.

Edited by really_stupid, 20 April 2009 - 02:06 AM.

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Okay you need to press Fn + F4 or F5 ( where the option of external LCD) key on your laptop keyboard.
It will give you option to connect external Monitor or TV.

really_stupid

really_stupid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, F5 is the correct key but that wasn't working before for some reason. Windows automatically installed drivers for my TV which somehow caused it to no longer work. Once I disabled the drivers windows installed it worked again. I changed output to MONITOR and it showed right up.