Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer...Several Problems

• Please log in to reply

gotmilk?

gotmilk?

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi....A little over a month ago I bought a brand new Sony Vaio computer

And since then I have a few problems with it....
First of all when I play games the screen flickers...and the 2nd problem I have is when I play a DVD the sounds pops a lot

Would the hyperthreading causing the screen to flicker?

One more question....My old computer has Adobe Photoshop that came with it...is there ANY way I can put the program onto my new computer? I use that program a lot.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
The screen flicker is casued by the refresh rate. Try setting the refresh rate to 75Hz to 85Hz. Now for the sound try download the lastest drivers from the Sony website. Hope that this helps.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Can't help with the flicker prob, but regarding photoshop - programs cannot simply be transferred from one pc to another - you will need the original installer programs. More to the point, was your old copy of photoshop licenced software?

If not, why not check out a similar program called GIMP? You can download it at:

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Note: I'm an avid photoshop person myself, and whilst Gimp is similar, you are looking at learning a new program. It is powerful, but has some annoyances for former photoshop people.

Least you can use it with a clear conscience - coz it's free :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee

cpc197c

cpc197c

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
First, this post is only for refrence and I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY if it messes up the registry or the computer. This is what I have done in the past.

About Photoshop, there is a quick way to transfer the program IF you own the program.

First copy the entire Adobe Directory to the same directory in the new PC.

Second, copy the Adobe folder in Common Files into the same location on the new PC.

Last, load Adobe on the old PC. For a few seconds you will see the Product ID on the bottom right hand side of the loading window. Remember the first 5 or so digits and go into regedit. Do a complete search for those numbers, and it should track down one registry entry. Export the whole key it is located in, then import it into the new PC. This should make the program run.

If there are other files missing that the program states, you should be able just to copy them.

gotmilk?

gotmilk?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all the help guys...

First off...I changed the refresh rate on my computer from 60 to 70Hz...they were the only 2 options it had....it didn't help...Here's a little more info to let you what's going on....when I'm playing a game the screen flickers and shows the taskbar at the bottom and also at the top it shows the bar at the top with the name of the game and the red X and minimine buttons etc...

The adobe photshop is licenced software...but it was included software that came with my old computer...So I don't have a disc for it. I do have discs that came with that computer that are application recovery discs...but I wasn't sure if they would work with my new computer or if they would mess anything up if I put them in. (they are both Sony Vaio computers...I don't know if that would make a difference or not)
I will try the Gimp program...thanks for that link

I don;t dare try and mess with the registery...I'm clueless when it comes to stuff like that...I'm sure I would mess things up...but thanks