Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My keyboard keeps on typing accents after I hit the apostrophe button.

• Please log in to reply

captainkangaroo

captainkangaroo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
This has been happening for about a year and a half now. It all started when I installed Before You Know It 3.6 for my French studies. I played a bit with the keyboard and for some reason set my keyboard to the French Canadian keyboard setting. After that it hasn't returned to normal. I've tried changing the language setting in Microsoft 2003 back to the Australian English setting but even when I do that, and word does say that I'm using Australian English, it hasn't worked.

Technically, it isn't really set to the Canadian French keyboard setting because I can't type any accent circonflexes or graves, just accent aigus and cedillas. It's a sort of hybird of the two. This is what happens.

When I hit the apostrophe button and then hit a letter, the letter turns into an accented word like the following-

é, ç, á

Tough, this is just for French letters that are accented, except for the letter 'a' where it never has an accent aigu.

When I try to finish a speech mark, the apostrophe doesn't appear and I must hit it two times and the result becomes-

''

Therefore I always need to hit the ' button twice and hit backspace to make an apostrophe. It is very annoying. When I type contractions though it is OK, but the speech marks are a different story.

Thank you!

Edited by captainkangaroo, 20 April 2009 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It could be the software changed the type of keyboard that you are using. To check on this, go to Start--> Control Panel--> Regional and language Settings. Then click on the languages tab. Check what languages are installed with the keyboard and see what languages are installed with the language bar.

captainkangaroo

captainkangaroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It works. Thanks a million!