Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D dur

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
I had some trouble this morning with my computer. When i logged in i got a bunch of error messages saying:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

and:

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

also, when i looked in the event log i noticed that it has been logging warnings since 12:30:48am yesterday saying:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Advertisements

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
a couple more details if you want them.. after i hit ok on the error messages and logged in it was running pretty slow with outlook hanging and such. My external drive didnt show at all which makes me think the errors were pertaining to it. Since it was going so slow i went to command prompt and issued a "shutdown -r -t: 00"

when the computer was starting back up it hung on the mobo's splash screen as if it weren't post'ing. I restarted it a couple of times and finally decided to open the case and see if maybe the processor was getting hot. After moving the case to get to the back to take the side panel off i just randomly looked up and it was at the windows splash screen and getting ready to go to the log in screen. Has worked since with no errors messages or event log warnings. I turned off the external drive and turned it back on and it seems to be running fine. CCleaner's registry thingy didnt find and errors. I Cant seem to find my chkdsk utility to see if there were sector errors on the external HDD.

Anyone have a link to a good free HDD integrity disk check?

Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can click on HD Diagnostics inmy signature and download the manufacturer tool for your specific make of hd.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Excellent.. will run that in a few minutes to see what we get.

'preciate it :)

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
actually the drive is an 1TB IOMEGA external HDD.. Any chance you have a resource for IOMEGA? i didnt see that in your blog post.. Maybe I'm blind?

Edit: I just opened a support ticket with IOMEGA to see if they have an integrity check and if not maybe they will help fix/replace the drive.. But if you have such a utility i would still like it too as it may be a couple of days before I get any kind of reply.

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 20 April 2009 - 07:49 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start>Run> type in Cmd and then click enter
A dos box will appear. Type in the following

Chkdsk (drive letter): /f
then click enter
Post back with results

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
heh ok i suppose i can do that too.. figured i would try to get a name brand utility.. anything else microsoft doesnt work too great anywyas.. but will do.. ill post later with results..

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
sorry for the delayed post.. The chkdsk command came back perfect. 0 files in bad sectors. i ran chkdsk /f /r /x which should fix errors on the disk(/f), locate bad sectors and recover readable info(/r), and force volume dismount if necessary making all open handles invalid(/x).

I would have posted the actual results but i ran it a couple of days ago and didnt get to post the results then.. Have rebooted a couple of times and such since then too..(normally i don't reboot unless i have to)

The drive seems to be working fine right now, havent had anymore trouble out of it or from the pc hanging up like it did. I did get a reply from iomega saying to go to their online chat for help(it wasnt there when i opened the ticket.. least i didnt see it) so I suppose i'll work from there.

I appreciate the help rshaffer61!

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible